Hanging a very heavy mirror 16kg!

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by jam25, Aug 21, 2019.

1. jam25

jam25 New Member

Hi

What kind of tools are best to hang a heavy framed mirror over the fireplace in my living room (16kg) please?

The wall is an external brick wall with plasterboard on top of it.

The previous owners had a mirror too and left the fixings in there(2 red 6mm rawl plugs)

I hung the mirror on these for now but I am not confident or of knowledge if these are the best. I know that the existing rawl plugs/screws are in the plasterboard and not through the brick.

Would it be advisable to get longer screws and drill into the brick at the back?

The mirror itself looks secure but just want some extra peace of mind as I have no knowledge of these things.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  2. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

3. PawelM

PawelM Member

If you are mega worried you can try corefix

jam25 likes this.
  4. jam25

jam25 New Member

Thank you I will look at both

5. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

How do you know that the existing plugs and screws don't go into the brick?

6. jam25

jam25 New Member

Because of the length of the screws that were in there. I bought longer screws and it still didn’t touch the brick - assuming there would be some red dust (?)

7. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Ah ok - so there might be a big cavity between the brick and plasterboard.

I hung a 23Kg mirror aboive the fireplace by cutting out a plasterboard section and replacing it with a 12mm pine board screwed into the battens in the wall. I then screwed the hooks into this - filled around the edges then painted and you would never know it is there.

8. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select