Painting and restoring our wood conservatory

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by My Home Farm, Aug 21, 2019.

1. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

We purchased a house last year that had a new conservatory and we thought that it would be in good order for years to come. Annoyingly, the previous owners skimped in its construction and last winter it leaked in a few places and was a tad drafty as a result of fine cracks that have formed.

After a getting some people to look at it, it's transpired that the conservatory was built from a soft wood, not treated, not primed and then painted with an interior/exterior paint.

The wood, thankfully, is still OK, so we wanted to sand the entire conservatory down, treat the wood, prime it and then paint it.

We need to please get suggestions on the best products for the job:

Wood treatment
    Primer
    Paint

2. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

3. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

4. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Forget the BIN and the Ronseal....best to move forward and use Sadolin Superdec or Dulux Opaque, wide range of colours available. Paint over what's on there after a good sand down.

6. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

Thanks Astramax. We like Sandolin and Dulux. Will check out options tomorrow.

7. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

It was recommended to us yesterday that after we've sanded down the paint, we first treat the knots, then put a layer of aluminium oxide on before we do the primer and paint coats.

Is the general consensus here that the aluminium oxide is a good step?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use Zinsser BIN to seal knots, then Sadolin Superdec straight over as it is self priming, self undercoating and water base, Dulux Trade Ultimate Opaque will go over bare timber, previously painted timber as well as stained timber and is solvent based, look at YouTube Video you will be amazed. Aluminium Oxide is now yesteryear as far as longevity goes, modern paint is far more flexible and erodes rather than flake and crack! ;)

9. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

Great suggestions - will look into these today.

On that note, any suggestions where we can buy good quality hardwood exterior window beading at reasonable prices?

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Forget DIY outlets and go to a local Timber Merchant, always apply at least 2 coats of clear timber preservative prior to using.