Triple joist hanger

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by eddm87, Aug 21, 2019.

1. eddm87

eddm87 New Member

Me again.
    Got the joists in for the second floor. Flat roof, are triple joist hangers easy to get hold of? I cant seem to find them in the usual places.

Double joist hangers timber to timber are avaliable everywhere. I have two skylights going in the flat roof.
    SE has shown three joists either side on the plans. (He seems to well over engineer everything!) Dont want it falling down though.

Any ideas?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers
    Edd

timber.png

2. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

The Simpson ones will do what you need but be aware that they are designed for 150 width. However, some regularised 50mm timber can be just 47mm which would result in a 9mm gap that MUST be packed out to avoid movement and twisting.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easily solved.:)

Simpson do several adjustable width joist hangers.

https://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/width-adjustable-face-fix-joist-hanger/56

[​IMG]

Edd: Not that uncommon to triple up the joists with rooflights,some are quite a weight.:)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  5. eddm87

eddm87 New Member

Knew I could count on you.
    A quick add on, do I have to have triple joists? Seems overkill could I not just do double and clear it with the building inspector?
    I mean it’s only a standard flat roof...

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would say double joist would be ok,depends on size of roof light,loadings,etc, but I'm not your SE, & yes some of them over engineer things.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. eddm87

eddm87 New Member

Cheers. Will call the inspector and see what he says.
    Edd

8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Knew they did something like that but could not find it on their website earlier this morning.

KIAB likes this.
  9. eddm87

eddm87 New Member

Had the BO round for a check up. He okayed the double joists instead of triple only as the roof lights we are having are lots smaller than what’s on the plans. He did say we need extra joists in along the width of them as they are 600 c/c rather than 400 (my mistake forgetting to put them in, easily rectifiable)

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good result.

Thanks for update.:)