Connecting pipes and different heights

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SrD123, Aug 22, 2019.

1. SrD123

SrD123 Member

Hi,

I hoping someone can offer me a bit of advice.

I recently had my heating converted to gas, the oil boiler in the garage was removed and combi boiler was installed in the house.

During this installation the plumber realised that the extension was on its on loop connecting to the boiler separately to the rest of the house and because of this he joined the the pipes together in the garage. This then caused a problem with my new combi boiler because it was having to pump the water out to the garage, back to the extension etc. The garage is 40ft or so away. He ended up reducing the flow in the radiators to try and compensate as the 5 radiators in the extension weren't heating up.

I was told to find where the pipes meet in the garden and connect them. Problem is that they are under a patio and where they meet are sitting at slightly different heights. Could anyone advise the best way to connect these? I was thinking flexible barrier pipe but the reviews seem hit and miss and I only need a meter of the stuff.

Thanks

http://imgur.com/gallery/KkrE0PL

[​IMG]

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

What a mess! Those pipes buried basically bare into the soil will have massive heat transfer into the ground.
    If possible I would join them where they enter the house.
    If any pipes left below ground then they need fully insulated and ducted.
    I use 110mm or have also used 150mm soil pipes as ducts, sealing them into walls with sand and cement.

3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Can’t the house pipes and extension pipes be connected inside the house?
    Then pipes going to outside could be plugged off.
    Guess floors etc are all tiled or hardwood and impossible to touch without damage

4. SrD123

SrD123 Member

The extension is a concrete floor, this hole is about 6ft from where they come out and the other pipes are coming out from the main heating loop, under a tiled floor. This is the closest place I can connect them.

Last year our heating melted the snow in the back garden so I'm hoping that this will make a big difference, at the minute I'm basically pumping water in a 160ft loop heating up the soils. By connecting these here I'll it be a 24ft loop!

Should this make a big difference?

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Serious heat loss. I had to replace pipes from between an oil boiler in a garage to a bungalow and duct them.
    Was 6m distance between the buildings.
    Owner was having same problems - snow would melt despite pipes deep in ground.
    I used soil pipe as a duct and Armaflex insulation. Already the customer said bungalow heats faster and rads much warmer.
    Do your best to get rid of any pipes below ground or at very least insulate and duct them.
    Basically throwing money away heating the ground

6. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

2 elbows bit of pipe

7. SrD123

SrD123 Member

I see a few comments on the picture I posted.

The pipes coming out of the extension are plastic and this is the height that they come out at.

Other than the compression fittings I used, how else am I supposed to connect the copper pipe to the plastic pipe?

And how am I supposed to adjust their depth underground? The are in a concrete floor and exit the wall here.

Is there something else I can do?

Picture of it connected if anyone else would like to help me.

http://imgur.com/gallery/18h46GP

Thanks again

8. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

There are youtube video's on bending offsets and for what it costs the wick's bender is ok.

There is a better way of obtaining correct offsets. Mark a pipe where it goes into the bender. Make an accurate 90 bend then measure from the mark to the centre of the bend. Might be say 60mm or some such number. If you want say a 30mm offset make a 45 degree bend then same to get in and out on the same line. Or if 15mm offset make a 22 1/2 degree bend and so on.

Main problem is bending so that when the whole offset is placed on a flat surface it all sits flat on it. A bit of an error is usually ok. ;) Also figuring out which order to make the bends and how long a piece to bend.

The videos will clear up what has to be done to make the offsets flat and marking pipe centres. ;) I've seen reviews of benders criticising them due to things not coming out flat.

It always pays to mark where the pipe goes in as it's then possible to put it back in to make slight corrections. I marked where it went into the "hook" that keeps it in.

Mmmm Thinking about that a 2 90 degree bends would give a 120mm offset so half the figures. I had lots to do to match up to old plumbing and it can work. I made a post that explained it properly on here but haven't kept a link.

And yes it sounds like you need insulated pipes.

John
    -

9. gas monkey

two elbows can be angled to suit the bit of pipe when connecting

b4xtr likes this.
  10. SrD123

SrD123 Member

Hi,

I know this post has dropped down the pages but I'm going to insulate and fill up the hole tomorrow.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I can do other than push fit / compression joints to connect the copper to plastic?

A few people were commenting that I'll be digging it up again in 6 months with the way I have it so if there is a better way to do this then I would rather change it now.

I don't see how I can change the depth of the pipes underground this is unfortunately the way they have been installed.

http://imgur.com/gallery/18h46GP

Thanks again

11. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Not much you can do,its already installed to a low depth with disregard to good practices. :(

Running outside underground pipes is not new and companies like uponor supply insulated pipes within a duct/conduit :D

12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Since you have plastic pipes there you might as well use push fit plastic fittings. Safer than using brass compression fittings below ground.
    Just make sure the copper pipes to be connected to are thoroughly cleaned including finished with steel wool or similar.
    And plastic pipes have to be cut carefully with proper cutters and use suitable inserts for pipes

13. gas monkey

you have done the best to a poor job
    I ran a water recently yes person in the call centre gave me the usuall not there fault may or may not know usually all kids so
    750mm min dig
    the water pipes only 450 so will the fitter put a top tee under the pipe
    cut off
    so fret not sir