Fencing Tips

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Kas228, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Hi, I am doing my own fence project next week due to excessively high quotes. Have done some before but not on this scale. It’s 27 metre straight run at back of garden which backs onto a public disused railway trail used by walkers cyclists etc. It has a very slight slope about 3 foot drop left to right over the entire length. I’m using concrete posts and 6’ panels and the post mix concrete (for ease and speed). I will be putting a gate in at one end but that’s for another day.
    If you could give me one or two tips to make the job go well what would it be (the panels and posts are ordered so they can’t be changed)?
    Look forward to any tips you can give me.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not a fan of post mix for concrete posts, prefer a proper concrete mix.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

As you've got the post mix it will be fine and it goes off more quickly anyway which will suit you.
    Don't dig the holes any bigger than they need to be.
    Fix post, use a panel to mark where the next hole comes and dig that, insert panel before concreting next post in and so on. It's not easy lifting a six foot panel up and sliding it in - just slot them in as you go. Use a line to give you your line and make sure each post is vertical or it will look awful.

4. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

I have a glamorous assistant (wife) who is helping out and doesn’t mind getting stuck in so that should help. My main concern is getting any subsequent posts in correct place as I suspect there is minimal tolerance on concrete post slots. Is it best to use a panel as a guide but presumably you can’t knock a post too much that’s just been put in but if post mix goes off quick that will help

5. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Is it best to add some aggregate to the post mix or just use it as it is?

6. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Ok thanks for tips so far. What about handling the gentle slope of about 3 or 4 foot along the whole run. Should I just step each panel down slightly or do a run of 3 or 4 panels level then drop down. Which way is best?

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Don't add aggregate - you'll weaken the mix.
    Build the fence as you go so you won't need to worry about tolerances - post, panel, post, panel and so on. You use the next panel to mark the next hole, move it to one side as you dig, when you're ready to set the post - correct height and line, reinstall the panel (leaning the post to one side to get it in easily), offer up the post and concrete it in. Section done, onto the next panel...

Edit: If it's an even fall, step each panel.

8. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Looks looks neat

Attached Files:

9. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Ok thanks for tips so far.
    What’s best way of fixing panels to concrete posts as don’t want public from trail being able to just slide panel up and get underneath and into my garden. Some sort of wedge would do I would imagine in the concrete slot. Any other ideas?

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If your digging a few holes buy yourself a hand auger https://www.screwfix.com/p/fiskars-garden-drill-auger/2947t

much less effort especially in stony ground and easier to line up the posts. Use you gravel boards to set the spacing between posts and a string line to line up.

and a post level https://www.screwfix.com/p/post-level-125mm/6872v?_requestid=313100

To hold them put a blob of expanding foam or exterior grab adhesive in the gap at the top upload_2019-8-25_14-33-5.png

And paint the panels with several coats of treatment before fitting

and you may want to consider planting some berberis on the outside of the fence - ideal intruder barrier, look brilliant in flower and good for wildlife

11. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

If your digging a few holes buy yourself a hand auger

Yeah already have one of those. Many thanks for all the tips. Will post some pics when it’s done, in the meantime please keep them coming.

Ps already have post level as well thanks