Which stain varnish for exterior softwood doors?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by rogerk101, Sep 11, 2019.

1. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I've just bought two pairs of tri-fold exterior doors, the frames of which are made from softwood.

The manufacturer places a lot of emphasis on me applying 3 coats of paint/varnish before installation to ensure their warranty. For example ...
    Finishing must take place before assembly and installation using at least 3 coats of a paint or stain suitable for external joinery. Using any other type of finish (varnish, oil or wax etc) will invalidate your 12-month warranty with us.

Please note that this door set is treated with a high-performance preservative which includes a water-repellent material, designed to protect the product throughout its life. Before finishing your door set, please ensure that your chosen paint or stain is compatible with timber treated with a water-repellent.

I spoke with my advisers at Brewers, the decorator supplier chain store where I buy paints and finishing products, and they suggested either of the following:
    • Sadolin Classic All Purpose Woodstain as a base coat, followed by 2 or 3 coats of Sadolin Extra Durable Woodstain or Sadolin Ultra Highly Translucent Woodstain.
    • Sikkens Cetol HLS plus as a base coat, followed by 2 or 3 coats of Cetol Filter 7 plus
    Which of the above would the painter pros suggest? Astramax, that means you! ... but others with good ideas are welcome to contribute to the discussion.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A decent solvent one,like Sikkens Cetol HLS/Cetol Filter 7 Plus,which you mentioned,not sure about Sadolin, there also Osmo Natural Oil Woodstain which is solvent.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Either of the products you have mentioned will give you very good protection, I have used both and would probably lean towards the Sadolin recommdation only because a wider colour choice is/was available. Used the Sikkens system on a exterior oak door using a clear satin finish and it looked superb.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Many thanks to both of you.
    I'll probably go for the Sadolin as Brewers has a special offer on it at the moment, making it a good 20% cheaper than Sikkens. Every little bit helps!