Shaver socket wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Phil Hardy, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Phil Hardy

Phil Hardy New Member

Hi all,
    Looking for a little advice regarding replacing an old shaver socket.
    I currently have an old white Tenby shaver socket in the bathroom which I am looking to replace with a chrome socket to match the rest of the fittings, I have the new socket but I’m slightly confused by the wiring, I expected it to be a simple task, however, when I removed the old white faceplate I noticed it has two live cables and two neutral, but the new socket only has single terminals. I am guessing I would just wire both lives and both neutrals together into the new single terminals, but thought I’d see if anyone has any advice first. The shaver socket is powered from the lighting but is always on, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

It's most likely that one pair of L + N is the feed (i.e. the supply to this device) and the other pair of L + N is the supply to the next device, probably your light. Just insert both the Ls into the L terminal of the new shaving socket and both the Ns into the N terminal. I assume there is a pair of earths (Es) in there too. If so, sleeve them with yellow/green sleeving and connect them to the E terminal of the new shaving socket. Take another sleeved short wire from the E terminal of the shaving socket to the earth terminal in the metal box that houses the shaving socket.

Tim Collings and Phil Hardy like this.
  3. Phil Hardy

Phil Hardy New Member

That’s what I thought, but wanted to check first.
    As far as the earth goes, there is two, both connected together to the terminal on the old socket.

Thanks for your help.