Need general gravel driveway advice and also- what to do with drain?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by John V, Sep 21, 2019.

1. John V

John V New Member

Hi everyone,

I am aiming to do a gravel driveway job myself but am unsure what to do with the drain. I am going to remove the current driveway blocks/stones and replace with gravel. The driveway is quite uneven in most places and slopes downward toward the drain also.

I think most of it should be fairly easy as there is a layer of sand under the current driveway, so i'm guessing I can lay the first lot of base gravel on that then the finish gravel. But I'm unsure what I should do with the drain?

Any advice is appreciated as this is my first time doing a driveway!

69801806_859971004404228_5633337710262353920_n.jpg 70506880_1463186000487244_7914695269835341824_n.jpg

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's really none of my business but I would choose your existing drive over a gravel one every day of the week. It might need a bit of work as it is, weed control and a few low spots sorting out for instance but it could be made to look good quite easily. Oh, and if you think you have a weed problem now, wait till your gravel drive has become established.
    As I say though it's your drive, good luck with it.

Deleted member 11267 and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

+1

A spray of weed/moss killer, then a jet wash, sort the low spots all easily sorted, & a lovely driveway.

Loose gravel,a nightmare, gets dragged off the driveway,heavy rain washes it away, & weeds,a never ending problem with them here.

4. John V

John V New Member

I hear ya about the current driveway being good. Thing is the house will probably be on the market in the next 2 years, and I'm trying to do a bit of change and re-design. I've seen a few of the nicer houses nearby that have the gravel drives and to me they look so much nicer and more 'pricey'. Think I just prefer the look of the gravel at this time. The current drive really is up and down all over the place so I feel it would be a good lot of work to sort to still end up with the same look drive.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Reckon it would work out cheaper to sort exsisting driveway, than lay 20+ tons of gravel.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a lot of peeps actually prefer block paving to gravel/pea shingle.

7. John V

John V New Member

Yeah you are right, it would probably be cheaper at the moment I just prefer the look of the gravel :D

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If your selling the house,you want what the buyers would prefer,& that I say would be block paving.