Small single sfloor extension Timber or brick

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BigJobber1, Sep 19, 2019.

1. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

hello,

I was just after some opinions and advice WE are looking at replacing a conservatory with a built extension. Looks like the foundations will need replacing.

Some builders have said a timber frame and insulation with cladding other builders have said that this will be a temporary structure, won't last as long and won't add value to the house and we should go brick and block?

I wondered what people thought?

thanks

2. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Lots of people live in timber framed houses with timber cladding. Or you could render over timber frame. It's just a matter of appropriate detailing.

3. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

thanks very much, I suppose I was worried about timber not having such a long lifespan as brick and block?

thanks

4. Magjul

Magjul Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with timber clad timber frame: as long as details are correct, eg DPCs, vapour barriers etc.
    As lightweight construction, new foundations won't need to be so wide/deep as with traditional brick/block construction.

5. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

These timber buildings are a mere 600 years old

upload_2019-9-23_10-37-34.jpeg

6. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

thanks, would love to bring a bit York to Suffolk! plus I see your point they've been standing quite a good couple of years I reckon. can I clarify DPC;s and vapour barriers are just for the foundations? when they build on to the original wall would they need any form of barrier running up the wall if you see what I mean? The builders stll think they will need to dig deeper than the foundations for the conservatory.

thanks

7. Magjul

Magjul Member

No, DPC's and vapour barriers are for the timber construction itself.

Simplified detail, DPC to go under timber frame as well.

upload_2019-9-23_11-39-0.png

You will obviously need a damp proof membrane in the floor construction as well.

8. Bill Bog

Bill Bog Member

Hello Bigjobber. I read your post with interest as we are also having a single floor extension built. I had no preference about timber frame or block and told each builder who was quoting this. It is likely we will be going block wall but only because the builder we prefer does it this way!

There is nothing wrong with timber frame so if the builder you prefer would rather build it this way I don't think there is an issue. I would have gone with the builder I preferred rather than the choice of construction. It certainly doesn't make it a 'temporary' structure as one of your builders has said. I would also be a bit wary about any builder who says such a thing. Builders will always have a preference but they should be honest about what they say and I don't think that was accurate.

What outside finish did you want on your exctension? If you were going to use timber cladding then this would need looking after and it won't last as long as brick or block or render. But the actual frame the walls are made of should last as long as the rest of the house.

Given a simple straight choice I think I would take block over timber just becuase it feels more solid when you thump it, but I wouldn't choose a builder just becuase they were going block. That's my thoughts anyway :).

9. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

Thanks for this, very helpful makes much more sense now

thanks

10. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

Thanks for you reply, it's good to have a opinion from someone who has had the same decision to make. I'm with you I think I just like the sturdiness of block plus If I want to do simple thing like put up shelves having block makes this much easier. Our builder has talked about hardiboard. Would you know what type of treatment this needs?

thanks

11. Magjul

Magjul Member

Hardie Plank needs no treatment at all - we use loads of it as external cladding on new-build timber frame houses and apartments.

Link here: https://www.jameshardie.co.uk/product/hardieplank-cladding/

With regard to fixing shelves etc, you could clad the inside face of the timber frame with 18mm OSB or similar, (either between studs or over-layed), before plasterboard goes on. Again, this is fairly standard practice in new build timber frame in order to fix kitchen cabinets, radiators and so on.

Whilst I understand your reticence in using timber frame, you should also consider that it's a less expensive form of construction, much quicker to build and much quicker to dry out!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Bill Bog likes this.
  12. Bill Bog

Bill Bog Member

I don't know anything about hardiboard but Magjul does! Would you be going for the hardiboard even if the walls were block? It would probablt be easier to fix it to timberframe but I don't know.

If my builder said to me 'block or timber it's your choice I don't mind' then I would go for block. If different builders wanted to do it in different ways then I would chose the builder I preferred over the type of build. :)

13. Magjul

Magjul Member

Easy to fix to block as well - breather paper, then 25mm vertical battens at 600mm centres, then Hardie Plank.

Bill Bog likes this.
  14. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

Thanks very much for the tips, good tip about the OSB underneath (just to be clear from the outside looking ine you would have hardiboard, insulation, OSB and then plasterboard as the last layer?
    Could I ask would it make any difference if aerated or solid blocks were used for the hariboard?

thanks for your time

15. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

thanks, yes the last builder actually recommend using block on one side where the neighbours fence would be for fire regulations and maybe timber on the garden side, although he did say maybe it would be easier to just use brick and block for all of it, but like you say they have their own methods! thanks

Bill Bog likes this.
  16. Bill Bog

Bill Bog Member

I think it is clear that there isn't anything 'wrong' with timberframe, so if a builder tries to say the opposite I think that is bad form. It doesn't mean he's a bad builder, just a bit borisy :)

17. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

exactly, that's why the last builder seemed more knowledge in more books talking about the pros and cons of each, he was the only builder to mention fire regulations when timber constructions are close to a neighbours property, although generally I think he preferred timber frames, when they were suitable.

thanks

Bill Bog likes this.
  18. Magjul

Magjul Member

My suggestions:

From outside masonry construction = Hardie plank, vertical batten, vapour barrier, aggregate block, (aerated not necessary), 100mm cavity with full fill insulation, aerated block, plasterboard on dabs, skim.

From outside timber frame construction = Hardie plank, vertical batten, vapour barrier, 9mm OSB, 140mm timber frame with rigid foil faced insulation, vapour barrier, 18mm OSB, plasterboard, skim.

Your choice!!

Bill Bog likes this.
  19. BigJobber1

BigJobber1 Member

Thanks so much for the detailed plans, that's very helpful and gives me a good specification to go by, nice to be able to talk to the builders so they at least 'think' I may know what I'm talking about, thanks, I did wonder have the timber frame is secured into the foundations?