Need help, What saw to buy

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Kerry96, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Kerry96

Kerry96 New Member

Hi I want to buy my husband a saw, to make me a breakfast bar. I want an oak breakfast bar I need some help on what saw and blades I need to get for him..

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is your husband a skilled woodworking machine machinist, could end up better value in getting what you want made by a skilled carpenter joiner.

Heat likes this.
  3. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

If it’s to cut the breakfast bar down to size you might want to look at a track saw. They’re simple to setup for nice straight cuts and there are a good range of options depending on budget.

Do you know what sort of thickness the Oak will be? 27mm, 40mm or something else?

You can of course set up a straight edge on a circular saw but it takes a little more effort.

As long as the oak isn’t too thick you should be fine with a cordless saw if that’s what you’re after.

Personally I use a Makita circular saw, can’t remember the model off the top of my head but it was about £160 without the battery. I’ve heard good things about Ryobi too but never used them

If money is no object most people seem to go with a Festool track saw but they are $$$

4. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

And before I get in trouble, I’ve heard good things about DeWalt, Milwaukee and Bosch too but again, not used them

Kerry96 likes this.
  5. LEH

LEH Active Member

My local timber merchants will make things like that to order. May be worth investigating if just a one off.

6. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Is your husband aware of your plans?

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

This is actually the reverse of real life.

Most of us have justified tool purchases on the basis that "I 'need' it to make that thing you've always wanted darling..."

LEH likes this.