Help needed for Door Lock

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by A R, Dec 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. A R

A R New Member

Hi, first of all I apologise if I posted this in the wrong section, I wasn't sure which category it would fall under. I had a door bolt installed on my bedroom door but it broke today. I need to get another door bolt but I have no clue which one to get.

With the one I had previously. I had to use the handle and open it ever so slightly to get the door lock to actually fit into bolt hole.

Also what is the difference between necked and straight door bolts?

[​IMG]
    https://gyazo.com/73c354750b24cc183acdecaa42dab9a8

https://gyazo.com/a22eac68f2eaa04ca8c2407b9bf2855d

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Measure the old one and buy a straight bolt of a similar size. Fit the bolt first and then align the keep, packing out with e.g. thin cardboard behind it so it all sits flush and the bolt is easy to use.

teabreak likes this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Problem is actually other way round Rusty and Teabreak as OP said 'have to use handle and open door slightly to get lock to fit in bolt hole'

As we would instantly know, either a thinner door has been fitted or frame stops sets too far back
    Need to either recess the keep or pack out the lock (easier than messing around with stops) to get all to align

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Would say bolt you have is around this size;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/straight-door-bolt-polished-chrome-76mm/74947 (also available in brass)

But simply measure outline on door, doesn't need to be exact but will be helpful as will cover old paint on door (and they do tend to come in set sizes)

As for the need to open door slightly to line up bolt in keep, door has been set back slightly too far in frame
    Two options here - either cut around the keep on door frame and chop away a little timber to recess, like a mm or 2 (same amount as you need to bring door forward)

Or as Mr Rusty suggested (but other way round) pack out lock with cardboard, screw through lock and card so both parts line up
    Card from back of an A4 pad works well :) (how do I know) :D

A necked bolt would be used on other side of door with a hole being drilled into door stop for the cranked bolt to slip into, flat cover plate then neatens drilled hole
    You will see how your 'straight bolt' wouldn't work on other side of door as bolt would line up with very edge of door stop and you cant fit the keep supplied

Anyway, easy job even with limited diy skills so good luck

A R likes this.
  6. A R

A R New Member

Hi thanks for the replies guys. I just purchased the bolt @DIYDave. linked and the screws are pretty ****. They just don't fit with the screwdriver well, I've used two screwdrivers, one small and one bigger. Any screws I can buy online?

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Unfortunately it’s a fairly known fact that a lot of screws supplied with fixtures and fittings are totally and utterly rubbish and not fit for purpose

More so with cheaper items, the actual lock will be fine but the screws, as you say, can’t find a screwdriver to actually fit the heads

Heads are just squashed into screws during manufacture and often you can see how misshapen they are

Best bet is buy new screws but....... it’s a little tricky as size not readily stocked and these are tiny screws

T Stn, S Fix, BQ, smallest size screw they sell is a 3, which is too large

Either a local independent ironmongers (if any still exist) or more than likely eBay I’m afraid

Think you want a 2.5 x 10mm screw

Good luck

8. A R

A R New Member

Right, I think I might just buy another door lock. Could you recommend me one that perhaps has some decent screws?

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Door lock will be fine, it’s just the screws that are useless

I’ve used these simple locks and also some more expensive but again, screws were rubbish

Often the screw heads, even if you can tighten them, aren’t properly matched to countersink size so don’t sit flush to item - no thought or quality control

Just fitted an indicator bolt from SF, the type that says ‘vacant / engaged’ when you turn the bolt and screws supplied were excellent - think the brand was Smith & Lock

Up to you, I would keep the lock and order some screws - may be available in small quantities but not sure. Take a look online