Private Prepay Meters?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by rk_diy, Dec 5, 2019.

1. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

I would like to put a prepay meter to a rented room which is converted into studio. This studio have a separate circuit but getting the supply from the main house.

Is there any service or system where the rates/payments will be controlled by landlord? So the tenant pays into a private account (either as a service or direct to landlord's) by online to top up their meter ?

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I don’t know about an online system.
    There are meters that use a ticket, which the tenant purchases from the Landlord.
    I think they do £5, £10 and £20 tickets which the Landlord has to purchase from somewhere.
    The tickets are single use.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Check meters did use to be quite common, only problem is as a landlord you are not supposed to make a profit on selling gas or electricity so you should keep adjusting the meter to maintain a fair tariff which can be a pain.

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The best option for pre-payment is a coin meter. I don't know of any private pre-pay card meters.

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Landlords are such tight arses.

6. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

This is the type of meter normally used by landlords, has the Rupert Rigsby / Peter Rachman seal of approval.

Attached Files:

7. Tony Goddard

Here are two more essentials for the landlord to make the bedsit super comfy

Attached Files:

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

10. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

11. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

thanks. One question: there is a 3ph model, do they measure each phase separately? and can it be used for 2-3 separate single phases?

12. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Sorry. I don't know anything about their 3 phase meters. If your tenant's accommodation is on one phase, you could just install a single phase version on that installation and measure his/her consumption that way.

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I believe that the restrictions on how much the landlord can charge for the electricity is only applicable for domestic tenants. The three phase meter will measure the TOTAL power consumed, summing all 3 phases, so if all of the load is on one phase the other two phases will also be cut when the money runs out.

14. collectors

collectors Member

Just put a normal meter in & just charge a penny more than you are being charged per unit & give them a bill. If the don't pay, cut them off the same as any other company would.

15. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I think you may find that depriving someone of supply if the last resort of energy companies and in some cases not even an option, hence the widespread use of prepayment meters. In that way the customers cut themselves.

16. Tony Goddard

Still got a working ascot in the workshop, it was fitted in 1962 and still works perfectly, loads of packs of washers and bimetal links for the pilot in an old tin, no need to replace it, reckon it's got another 60 years in it!!

17. collectors

collectors Member