Sealing shower tray where it meet lino

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by djwilliams37, Dec 5, 2019.

1. djwilliams37

djwilliams37 New Member

Hi
    I am looking to silicon around the newly installed shower tray where it meets the lino but there is a gap around 12mm on the front lhs. I think this may be too wide to fill with just silicone? When I laid the lino I pushed it well underneath but I am considering lifting it and cutting it then putting some strips of thin ply under to bring the floor height up a bit.

I have heard mention of something called multi trim that can be used in such cases as this. Has anyone experience of using it?
    Cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

There shouldn’t have been a gap left below the tray edge. Really supposed to be solid supported over most of the tray including the edges.
    12mm isn’t too bad. Unfortunately your floor was probably not level and the joint hasn’t been hidden due to you using vinyl floor covering.
    If after installing tray you had put thin plywood down first on floor and then the floor covering it would have brought up the floor around the tray, covering the joint.
    You could seal the 12mm joint with some silicone or floor tile adhesive and then use a bit of trim

3. djwilliams37

djwilliams37 New Member

The tray has legs mounted at all 4-corners and I stuck the whole thing down with silicon. I left a 4mm gap up the side but once leveled the gap at the front could not be made smaller without loosing the gap up the side which I needed to retain to slide the lino under. I guess I need to fill it somehow and make the best of it that I can. The flooring underneath the lino is T&G chipboard which may give me more options maybe some tapered strips of ply will help to raise the edge to a more reasonable height

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Pop into a upvc window suppliers as they will also sell a multitude of plastic trims that can be used here

Often come in 5m lengths but cost pennies (well between £3-4 I would
    Imagine)

The trims seem to have different names according to manufacturer but I’ve used a ‘fillet’ around a shower tray to good effect

The one at my local plastics shop is around 12mm wide, one flat side (to floor) and other side bevelled

‘Glue’ in place with silicone, push into place and clear away any that squishes out, tidy up join with a profile tool

The silicone will instantly stick and grab the upvc profile but obviously allow it time to fully cure

Will look like part of the tray if done neatly :)

5. djwilliams37

djwilliams37 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look and see if I can find any upvc trims that are suitable

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You will definitely be able to find a suitable trim !

Wickes have a small selection in 2/3m (?) lengths or as above, either a window shop or plastics supplier also

Another suitable trim would be ‘cloak’ or ‘architrave’ Same profile but known as two names (maybe more) !

This trim is available in a wide range of widths as well and from a plastic shop - super cheap for 5m

7. djwilliams37

djwilliams37 New Member

is the trim stuck around the outside of the tray? Sorry if the answer is obvious I have never installed a shower tray before this

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

In answer to above question, yes, trim will close gap and overlap onto shower tray

Stick trim to shower tray using white silicon (explained above in post 4)

If you simply ram bits of cut plywood in gap then how’s that gonna look then ?

Could use wood and paint but why bother ?

Upvc trim, silicone, job done :)

9. djwilliams37

djwilliams37 New Member

Thanks for the help. I will get round to sorting it out this weekend - hopefully

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Check there is no movement on the tray, especially when stepping into it or rather onto the edge of it. If not supported under that lip it can lift at the other side.

11. djwilliams37

djwilliams37 New Member

Thanks for the warning. I certainly checked there was no movement or lift after I installed the tray. The shower has had some use now and I have been keeping a look out for any problems but everything seems soild

12. Just a thought but which is out of level? Your tray or the floor?

13. djwilliams37

djwilliams37 New Member

Hi
    I have sorted it out now. The tray was level I spent a while making sure this was correct. The floor has a slight drop where the panel at the front of the tray sits. I have lifted the lino from underneath the tray and used some thin strips of 3mm ply and some of the surplus lino to bring the floor level up to around 5mm below the tray. I am happy with this and I am going to silicon in a day or so.
    Thanks all for the good advice

14. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member