Worcester Bosch 30si

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by PaulineA, Jan 18, 2020.

1. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

Water was leaking from my overflow pipe, just had the PRV and the Pressure Vessel replaced 2 days ago. Today the water pressure had dropped so I have had to top up my heating system back to 1.1/2 bar, again the water is running from the overflow pipe. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem can be?

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Rubbish heating engineer, not done the job right in the first place.

3. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

My question was does anyone know what the problem can be? not pass comment on the heating engineer

PandA3 likes this.
  4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The expansion vessel could be the issue.
    Even when fitting a new one it’s good practice to check the charge.
    The vessel may not be large enough for the system.

5. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

Thanks Mike.
    He has fitted a new expansion/pressure vessel on Thursday, and checked the pressure in it
    Had the boiler a few years and never had a problem with it

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

When the water is running from the overflow is the pressure at 3 bar.
    Does the pressure rise when the heating is running.

7. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

When the water is running it is dripping from the overflow pipe, set the water pressure at 1.1/2 bar and now the system is cold it has dropped to 1 bar.
    The pressure gauge rises to nearly 3 bar when the heating is running

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Sounds like the expansion vessel isn't doing its job ,or it's prevented from doing its job by obstruction. You really need to call an engineer in to check it out.

9. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

We have had the boiler 9 years and never had a problem with the expansion vessel which was replaced on Thursday along with the PRV, surely it should be fine now? could it be faulty or the PRV be faulty? or just not pressurized correctly?

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you never had a problem ,why were they both replaced ? What triggered the need for this action ?
    To answer your questions ,yes they should be all fine. As they are not ,then the engineer should be re called to establish why.

11. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

As terry mentions there could be an obstruction.
    This could be on the pipe that leads to the vessel. This would give the same symptoms as a deflated vessel but the vessel would be charged

terrymac likes this.
  12. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

The pipe has been taken off and checked too, no blockage. All the obvious things have been checked

13. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

What about the point that the pipe connects in to. It could be blocked there.

14. Bob Rathbone

My point is that the heating engineer has left your boiler like this, according to the way you describe the issue. Terry Mac agrees.

15. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

He has, but it is not possible to always see what the problem is when you think it has been fixed. He was supposed to come back today and has not turned up

16. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

After 4 weeks I still have an issue, can anyone recommend a good engineer. My engineer says he cannot come until Monday a week later than promised.

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Might help to know what area you live in .

18. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

6 weeks in and still having issue, got to wait no for a filling loop to be fitted :(

19. Bob Rathbone

I am pleased that the engineer you called in the first place was a good reliable chap who knew exactly what he was doing and keeps his appointments as promised, good chap that.. Get another engineer from a reputable source, how you do that I am unsure as I always do my own.

20. PaulineA

PaulineA New Member

I wouldn't say reliable the issue started on the 28th December and it still hasn't been sorted. It was the engineer who left the filling key in if he hadn't the problem would have been found sooner. It has been another week and he still hasn't come back to replace the filling loop. How many chances do you give one person