Help, electricians left me in a pickle

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by thecount, Jan 18, 2020.

1. thecount

thecount Member

Hi, wondering if you can help.
    Had a guy who said he was an electrician literally do a “simple” job, replace an old brokenOutdoor pit motion sensor with a new one as the lense was cracked - on my garage which has 2 lights connected to two light switches in the garage.

The lights are on all the time but I can hear the sensor going off and on?

I have opened it up and I can see the attached wires.

looking at the old one, it also had an earth connector in it as well.

he’s not bothered with the red terminal as you can see.

anyone know what he’s done wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Guess is that one cable is live supply and the other it to light? Identify which one is which and move the brown to the red connector. Also join the earth with a connector block

Are you sure he was an electrician?

3. thecount

thecount Member

Hi thanks for responding

he claimed he done electrics. He won’t be coming back to fix it.

There are two browns and two blues, both look like they come from the two individual lights I “guess”

So I have an electric tester which he left?

do I just grab one of the browns, any one and stick it to the red...?

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Read the instructions ...

That red could be any number of things - for example a switched output to another light, or an input , or ... so RTFI

5. thecount

thecount Member

That red u can see in the photo is from the new PIR unit Mike

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Its a standalone sensor isn't it, looks like this one.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-standalone-pir-180/8461v

Absolute **** at the best of times but none the less the one above isn't wired correctly, one brown goes in with the brown and the other goes in with the red, 2 blues with the blue and the earths connect together, think there is a little terminal for the earths on the backplate.

thecount likes this.
  7. thecount

thecount Member

8. thecount

thecount Member

Just following up. Just grabbed one of the browns, and put it in the red one (no idea if it should have been the other one)

many way, at least now I am able to switch the thing off more or less. Before I couldn’t.

the sensor still clicking but the lights are not going off - just permanently on?

i “thinkL they might have been set up so at either of the two wall switches, you can over-right the sensor I did have? Wonder whether I haven’t purchased a like for like sensor which is functionally wise similar?

think it was originally : Timeguard NSLB2000 PIR Lighting Controller Switch 180° (Black) - Packaged as Newlec NLPIRB2A https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073S4WTNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_P0XiEbH6FZK0Y

Attached Files:

9. thecount

thecount Member

Ok just to follow up, I did swap around the browns and it finally works! Thanks for the help here all and steer....

10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I can think of a few words for the chap that left the job like this but he is not an electrician. Neither am i but I would not have left an energised circuit with earth like that irrespective of anything else. Certainly he does not merit payment, possibly a bit of training but no folding stuff

11. thecount

thecount Member

Thanks, I will send the boys round ‍♂️