seperation of elec. boards..

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mr bodgit, Oct 24, 2003.

1. mr bodgit

mr bodgit New Member

not really an electrical question, more about regulations and safety i suppose. We have a house which was 2 seperate flats with individual supply boxes. when it was changed back into 1 dwelling the upstairs was the one left in to supply the whole house for some reason, i assume cos it was newest. it is in a cubby hole on the landing next to the bathroom. we have plans to knock out the wall between this 'cupboard and extend the bathroom past it, giving a great improvement in space. this, however, would place the dist. board in the corner of the bathroom, which even i know isnt allowed. is it possoble to construct a cupboard around the board, then another one around this . would that count as enough seperation between the board and the bathroom? where can i find relevant regs?

2. luffo

luffo New Member

i'm not sure if it could be classified as a "fixed electrical appliance". If it could be though you would then need to further protect your CU with a 30ma RCD. It also depends upon how high up on the wall it is. if it is above 2.25m you would probably be allowed it in a double box but to play it safe you're best bet is to move it somewhere else, as you don't want to have to reset a fuse in a middle of a shower resulting in a lovely shock!

3. Brightspark

Brightspark New Member

IS your meter downstairs, if so why dont you get the CU moved back down there and get a sparky in and sort the rest out for

4. retroJohnny

retroJohnny New Member

It would be easier and safer to move the board out of the bathroom

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Holy thread resurrection.jpg

I'll bet he has been waiting for those 17 years just for you to post your helpful suggestion. Not.