Cracked insulation panel Baxi boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Urban Bumpkin, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Ive got a 12year old Baxi combo boiler that I’ve recently had serviced. According to the heating engineer it needs the insulation panels replacing cost of a further £160.

Is it worth replacing these as I imagine it’s going to be replaced in the next 4-5 years.

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Which baxi boiler do you have ?

Urban Bumpkin likes this.
  3. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

It’s a Baxi 105e

4. The Teach

In its day that was the largest selling combination boiler,plenty of ancient ones around Even have 1 in my own place (a block of flats with 43 more) :) Plenty of parts new & recon indefinably available.

the insulation panels can develop hairline cracks,never had cause to exchange any. If the service technician just advised re cracks and left the boiler operational then there is no need for changing the insulation panels or a single panel.

Could also be a sales incentive to have a new gas boiler fitted,its been known :(

5. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Thanks for the reply. The service technician advised that the insulation panels were crumbling and could cause bigger problems further down the line (if not replaced).
    Does this sound correct? Or just an excuse to charge more?

6. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Update from this. I had a call today saying that the Insulation panels needed doing ASAP as if they fell onto the burners they could cause major problems and make the boiler explode.
    Does this sound correct?

7. The Teach

Different people describe different situations in different ways ;)

During the service visit,all the safety critical cut out's will have been tested to ensure no explosion is going to happen.

The boiler servicing tech has seen the boiler,so can only go on their judgement. you can always get a second opinion ;)

Urban Bumpkin likes this.