B22 BAYONET BASE VS E27 SCREW BASE

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by dayseey, Jan 20, 2020.

1. dayseey

dayseey New Member

HELLO,

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PERCENTAGE OF EU POPULATION USING B22 BAYONET BASE VS E27 SCREW BASE? I AM JUST CURIOUS. DO YOU HAVE ANY REPORTS YOU CAN SHARE ON THIS? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU!

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

An e-mail to any light bulb company would get you the answer...........................or even our hosts might tell you the percentage of sales for each, i doubt it, but they might.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

E27 & other Edison bases are use throughout europe,& large percentage of the world nowadays,but B22 is far superior in my book to the E27.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  4. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

Perhaps, in a couple of weeks, E27 and all other Edison fittings should be banned, as they should never have been permitted in the UK in the first place!

Spawn of Satan, aka Edison, stole "the invention of the electric light bulb" from Brit, Swan!

One for Boris / Trump to "negotiate". ;)

KIAB likes this.
  5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Both the bayonet cap and the ES lampholder are the only outlets that are unshuttered live terminals that can be touched by users. They seem to have a special dispensation from the regulations as regards direct contact shock. Do you remember the BC adaptors that allowed you to plug stuff into the light? Strangely, the reason they were outlawed was that the polarity of the plug could not be assured.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can remember when a kid, mother plugging iron into light socket,which had a two way adaptor plugged in.

They have list of B22 adaptors on this site.

https://www.flameport.com/electric_museum/index.cs4

And I'm surprised to see these adaptors are still being sold,but out of stock at the moment.

http://www.art-deco-emporium.co.uk/lhb22-adp-01-un2

7. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

When I bought my house to renovate I found the power supply for the garage was taken off the back of the kitchen light switch, the old lady's son was supposed to be an electrician. It didn't matter to me because I ripped out all the wiring and lead water pipes to be rewired and re plumbed by real professionals.

8. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

I still have an “International” traveller adapter that converts Edison screw to US mains and then to U.K. I’m pretty sure they were still on sale at Heathrow airport last summer.

9. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Most EU countries use E27, France historically used both E27 & B22, The UK was mainly B22 but this is slowly changing. The US uses E26 which is very similar to E27, they used to use the E26 base on fuses as well as lamps.

Screw in my experience has the disadvantage that if slightly loose in the socket the thread can weld itself to the socket thread

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And vibration can work ES lamps loose.