Router bit selection

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Ozwald Cobblepot, Feb 26, 2020.

1. I have a 1/4” router and require a straight cutter that has a diameter equal to the shank (for a specific task too boring to describe).

I can see cutters 6.3mm and 6.5mm in diameter. 6.3mm is slightly less than 1/4” and 6.5mm slightly more. Tempted to opt for the 6.5 just in case the shank of the 6.3 catches the piece as the router plunges unless the Screwfix community tells me the 6.3 is machined to be the exact diameter as the shank.

So that’s my question in a roundabout way.

Many thanks...in advance

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Another good company is WEALDEN TOOL COMPANY, Tel 0800 328 4183.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  4. FlyByNight

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

6. FlyByNight

Next time I need some cutters, I may give Wealden a try - have always used Trend but they are getting pricy.

£38 for the pocket cutter and even £18 for their cheap version - yes I get discount on those but Wealden equivalent is just £12

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have used Wealden for circa 30 years with no problems so would recommend to anyone without hesitation. :)

FlyByNight likes this.
  8. faber

faber New Member

Wealden is a fantastic company, use them all the time give them a call give great advice

9. faber

faber New Member

Same for me used Wealden for the last 25 years with no problems great tech department and some off the most helpful staff would recommend to anyone

10. AndBlue

AndBlue Member

What is it you are working on where less than 0.1mm is making the difference? Just curious.

11. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

To save any problems, why not use one with a bearing guide. Then shank size can be smaller but you can use the bearing to run off.

Just spotted how long ago this post was started, guess the job has been done now!!