What's You're opinion on the Freemasons ?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by MR DIAZ, Mar 4, 2020.

1. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Don't care for them although they still are said to have influence. I wouldn't join but that's my choice

3. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

None of your business .

PhilSo

:cool:

CGN likes this.
  4. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

You need an invitation .

PhilSo ..........

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

6. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

@ MR DIAZ why ?

7. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

That was my question.

8. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I don't approve of secret societies because I don't know what they are up to. There are rumours about members having influence in high places, if true that's wrong.

It was suggested by a member some years ago that I may like to join. He wouldn't tell me much about it so I took it no further

9. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

The only experience I had with the masons was with a work colleague about 20 years ago. He was, frankly, a deeply unpleasant piece of work. After many issues he was finally sacked for quite horrendous bullying of a female employee. She was friends with a woman he had been having an affair with and when it finished she was taken into her confidence about him; he had threatened to kill (yes it's true) her if she didn't get back with him. As the affair was not known to her husband she couldn't go to the police. There was no doubt about it as there was absolute proof on the IT system, I was network manager at the time and was involved in the technical investigation.

He appealed to the governors as was his right; this was a college and to everyone's incredulity he was reinstated due to the influence of one of the governors who just dug his heels in without giving any rational argument as to his reasons and he was just giving a warning.

While we could not prove it (this is the issue with the freemasons), it was widely assumed by the other governors that freemasonary had a hand in it.

Ironically I used to sometimes go out for a drink with this character, before his true colours were evident, and he once asked me if I wanted to join. He was eventually paid off to get rid of him. Possibly the nastiest person I have ever come across.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have been to four funerals of people I had very high respect and regard for to then learn that they were masons. They were hard working community minded individuals who gave a lot of time to charitable causes. My respect for them hasn't lessened any because they were members of something I know little about. Just saying.

CGN, PhilSo, longboat and 2 others like this.
  11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

There are bad apples in any organisation, my post was just my limited experience in one case; I don't draw any conclusion about anyone else.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  12. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I know several senior Masons including one whom I worked with who is very, very, very, senior. Had the heirarchy found out about what you suggest then they would have dealt with both of them, severely. Yes, Masons will help each other, legitimately, however, when it comes to illegal activities, or breaking rules, or situations as you described, it will have been made clear to them that it would be totally unacceptable.

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I dislike organisations that possibly could result in unfair advantage to their members in society, BUT that applies to many groups and religions.
    The Masons that I know have been largely very decent people.
    Some members have hinted to me to join and they did so once they knew me well.
    Personally I wouldn’t want all the ritual nonsense that supposedly goes on.

14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just to give balance to my previous post, and to be fair, both my uncles were in the freemasons and they couldn't have been more upstanding and conventional members of the community. Although I always wondered how one of them managed to drive back from his club late at night for 20 years without being pulled over :)

Can't say the masons would do for me, I am neither upstanding nor conventional, or at least I hope I am not. Groucho Marx's quote springs to mind, “I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  15. I’d be out on three counts, all of which I believe are prerequisites too some degree.

1: Don’t believe in a higher being (and unwilling to lie about it merely to join a club)
    2: Won’t swear allegiance or raise a toast to the monarch ( won’t expand on this too much other than to say I despise everything about them and would rather live in a state unburdened by such expensive and arrogant wasters)
    3: Unwilling to kowtow to those perceived to be above me in any hierarchy.

timotay and greenback78 like this.
  16. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

All are equal .
    However , some are more equal than others.
    " Animal farm "
    Some are willing to be leaders.
    Many are willing to be LED.
    why?
    Because LED is cool and energy efficient.

:cool:

Cannon fodder.
    PhilSo

Kiab is an elevated Mason.

:rolleyes:

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Only freemason i know is self employed dry stone wall builder! :p

18. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

Thing there's a lot of people who have answered who haven't much of a clue about Freemasonry. I guess when there's so much information on the web both true and false, people try to build a picture, nearly always wrong.

PhilSo likes this.
  19. You are completely correct, why should we have this load of unelected, inbred, freeloading leeching spongers as heads of state.
    We will never be a democracy in this country until we get rid of them and the unelected house of lords and have an elected head of state and an elected second house.

20. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

But hey, what do you think they do good and bad ?