Are you supposed to see join lines on wallpaper?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Melissa, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Facebook ‍♀️
    I asked for recommendations in a local fb group and he got quite a few, he came round to view the job and he seemed to know what he was doing

TheMorg likes this.
  2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

@Melissa all joking aside, really hope you get it all sorted to your complete satisfaction. Regards,Steve:)

Melissa likes this.
  3. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I paid in full it was on Monday this week I was at home in my own with my 2 young children, so i kept the door shut, only popped my head round to ask him if he wanted coffee.
    I paid £160 for one side of the wall that goes up the stairs.

4. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Hopefully the joints can be made to look better but the alignment will never be right.

Melissa likes this.
  5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Unfortunately you have to give this guy the opportunity to put this right, I think the only solution is to take it down and and start again, you are probably gonna have to take a hit on it buy more paper and find someone who can wallpaper

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I don't think he'll take it down and do it again, and if he does then surely he should cover the costs.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Yeah he should take it down and do it again, but do you think he will do a better job ? get a refund from him it's the least you should expect, but get someone else

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Erratic soaking time!

Sparkielev likes this.
  9. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I don't think he'll give a refund, I'll have to wait to see after the lockdown, but no I wouldn't get him to do it again....god he might do a worse job!

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you lived near me I would re-hang it for free, you just buy the paper, down side is I am in the vulnerable group with health issues and as from yesterday now in 12 weeks isolation.

11. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

I am sure she will be happy to wait for 12 weeks if the original paper hanger don't come back.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's fine with me.:)

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

That's really nice thank you
    Take care stay safe.

14. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Melissa at this stage I would want to put it in writing, stating the bloomin obvious.
    Also what you want him to do about it. (or not do)

I would think that paper is now rubbish, (ask Astra) & so you would need, not only the labour charge back, but also a contribution to the cost of the wallpaper.
    This needs to be put in your letter to him, so you can move on at a later date with someone else.

But I certainly would want my money back now. Not in 12-20 weeks time. By then I would think he will be skint.

Be interesting to see what others say about this......

Dr Decorator, Astramax and Melissa like this.
  15. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Truly shocking workmanship.

he’s no paper hanger.

What area are you in?

I could maybe take the baton of goodwill from Astra

16. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Hi I'm in Bedford mk42
    I keep looking at it trying to convince myself it's not so bad but it is

17. Melissa

Melissa New Member

18. No chance of you having a go yourself ? even for a first timer it has to better then that, if you can, do consider having a go, that paper is pretty decent to work worth, its not thin junk and you may find it rather fun.

19. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Ik
    Ok, to far for me unfortunately

20. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Not a problem, thank you for the thought though