Tiled onto chipboard floor

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by James111, Mar 28, 2020.

1. James111

James111 New Member

Hi guys, hope everyone is staying safe. I went a little bit rogue after being driven stir crazy and started tiling the bathroom floor today. My issue is that I've just realised after reading online that I have tiled directly onto chipboard that was originally down on the floor. The bathroom is fairly small 2m x 1.5m. The tiles are 200 x 200mm.
    I'm concerned that these will just start cracking up under flex (although I'm hoping someone can shed some good news) - I will appreciate honesty.
    Had a general jump up and down and the floor seemed to be pretty solid before starting.
    Am I best off to wait and see what will happen or take them up and start again?

I have attached a photo of the chipboard
    Thanks,
    James

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How many tiles have you laid and how did you go about laying them ie did you prime the floor, what adhesive did you use?

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Would have been better to plate over the chipboard . Did you use a flexible adhesive and grout ?
    You may be lucky on such a small area.
    Time will tell ,don't think I would take them up at present.

4. James111

James111 New Member

Hi mate, thanks for your response, I've laid probably around 30 of the tiles so far and I used screwfix "no nonsense" adhesive which is water resistant. I feel it will be OK and it is a lesson learnt as its such a small area.
    I will double check the grout now (I haven't grouted yet) to ensure water resistance too

5. James111

James111 New Member

Hi mate I used screwfix "no nonsense" adhesive - I haven't grouted yet but I have the same branded grout

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Leave them down. If they pop, lift, crack etc then you’ll have to obviously remove them but until then don’t tempt fate, no point making a mess until you have to,if you’d only laid half a dozen or so I’d have advised to take them up. Use a flexible grout.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Unfortunately that is not a flexible adhesive , and you have everything working not in your favour . But having got so far you may as well see how it goes.

8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Get some ARDEX grout - it is flexible and pack well in.

James111 likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The only thing you’ve ‘possibly’ got going on your favour is that by using ready mixed adhesive, ‘most’ of these contain a primer within the mix (can’t say for sure on your choice, not used it)

So normally if using a bagged (powered) adhesive you would prime timber and walls with either SBR or specific tile primer

Hopefully the adhesive contains primer so you ‘may’ get a decent bond between chip floor and tile but not being flexible ......... time will tell, less forgiving as well with large format tiles

Generally, powdered adhesive are better quality than ready mixed bucket goo and flexible is essential for timber floors (though it’s not super flexible, does have limitations obviously)

You’ve said floor seemed pretty solid before starting so may well prove to be ok and you’ve blagged this one :)

Just keep the numbers down and no bathroom parties (clearly not permitted at the moment anyway) :(

10. James111

James111 New Member

Hi all, cheers for your great advice. So it's been 2 days now and no issues. I reckon I might have got away with it.
    Not the first time I've tiled a floor either so I'm a bit annoyed at myself to make this error. It's actually my inlaws bathroom (I'm here waiting for my house to go through)
    I'm gonna get some ardex in the meantime anyway and leave it in the garage as a "just in case"

11. James111

James111 New Member

Thanks Mike, I'm gonna grab some of this

12. Mark Dowler

Mark Dowler Member

Sorry to jump in..... I've just managed to remove the mosaic tiles from my chipboard flooring in the ensuite without any damage to the chipboard. Im unsure what to lay underneath the tile when the time comes, cement board, plywood or a ditra style membrane. Also when removing the shower tray which was raised. Was sitting on a mock platform of blocks of wood and a piece of chipboard. I'm looking to fit a riser kit when I install the tray do I need to use cement board in that area to give the floor added strength or would a riser kit directly onto chipboard be ok. Thanks

13. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

For tiling on to the chipboard floor I would recommend the use of 6mm Hardie backer.

Anti fracture matting such as Ditra are for lateral movement in floors.

I would lay the Hardie under the tray, although it’s not essential.

Mark Dowler likes this.
  14. Mark Dowler

Mark Dowler Member

Thanks Jim!