Router needed

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Kaz69, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Hi All,

I’m needing a router for making a tray that will have a deep grove to hold a drinks glass and a grove for an ashtray.

never used one before so not looking at something to expensive but need recommendations for a beginner.

cheers

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

By groove do you mean recess?

Assuming you do... The difficulty with routing over a 'large' area is that you run out of material to support the base of the router on so it becomes challenging to maintain the depth of cut accurately once the area you're routing is anything approaching the size of the router base. This can be overcome by fitting a sub-base to the router though. Alternatively you can create a jig and use a guide bush to make this easier.

There are dozens and dozens of cheap routers and I would choose a plunge router rather than a fixed base for what you want but there are machines that will do both by using exchangeable bases.

There isn't a one size fits all machine as the powerful kitchen worktop/joinery routers are simply too cumbersome for some of the finer detail and edge work and conversely the 'palm' routers (which are all the rage these days) don't have either the power, plunge depth or capacity to handle the larger cutters.

As Jord eluded to in a recent thread there are a number of us on here that would recommend the Katsu machine. It's a copy of a Makita but it is relatively cheap (especially bought in a bundle with bases and guides etc) and hard working. It's unrefined, noisy, the lead is too short, guide bushes are really tricky and dust collection could be better (but you'll find that with lots of machines). If mine died I'd replace it today.

Couple it with a starter set of ¼" cutters and you'll be fine. You can make a sub-base by removing the plastic base and using that as a template to make something larger out of MDF or better still, thick perspex.

There are whole books on routing so we'll only scratch the surface here and if you started watching YouTube videos now and didn't stop the lockdown would still finish first.

Good luck.

Jord86 and ramseyman like this.
  3. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

thank you that’s the exactly what I need and just looked up the Katsu and that’s about a price I wanted to pay.

I’ll have a look at videos online before jumping in and get some old material to practice on first until I’m confident

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have the Katsu palm router too as very similar to the Makita one.

I ended up replacing the lead for a longer one as too short.

Its a good route for the price.

5. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Thats a great tip. I was using a Katsu palm router yesterday to route door hinges in situ at the top of the frame. The router was struggling to reach the top hinge.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There is a post somewhere, where I have uploaded pictures.

Used a more flexible cord for this.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select