Angled hoist hangers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Furloughed Lad, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Furloughed Lad

Furloughed Lad New Member

Hi. Apologies if this has been talked about

I’m looking at building some decking.
    My area isn’t square that I’m decking. I’m planning to attach a wall ledger plate and hang joist hangers off this.
    The problem is that it runs 20 degrees out.
    Do I
    A, bend standard joist hangers into line?
    B, fix a piece of angle iron to support joist and then skew screw joists in position?
    C, use a3” joist hanger and fix my 2” joist in on an angle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I can provide sketches if needed

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  2. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Why can’t you double the wall ‘ledger’, first to the wall the second at the angle needed to square it up, so looking from the top it would look like a wedge shape. You would have to put noggins in to form the angle, but it would be solid, if you wanted to make sure it’s strong enough, stick in a few posts in...

3. Furloughed Lad

That’s an idea I didn’t think of. How could I cut the wedge? Just with a wood saw?

4. Furloughed Lad

Ignore my last. I obviously need noggings

5. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Can’t you just fix plate lower and sit them on it?

wiggy likes this.
  6. Furloughed Lad

I’m restricted for space, it’s decking that is going above a small out building. I can’t support off the roof below and don’t have enough height on the the brickwork to do as you suggested. I was thinking of an angle iron runner bolted on the ledger to create something like you have suggested

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just fix a 2x2 on the bottom of the ledger, then cut the angle required on the ends of the joists, then notch the bottom 2 inches out of the joist so it butts into the ledger at the correct angle and sits on the 2x2 bearer. Spike it into both, job done, no messing about or hangers required.

Furloughed Lad likes this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Like this

83576F76-5397-461D-A8CC-F4286B7D6932.jpeg

wiggy likes this.
  9. Furloughed Lad

10. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Just on a bit of 2x2? I would not sit decking on a bit of 2x2.

Alwaysworking likes this.
  11. Furloughed Lad

I’ve no idea then. I’m a measly gas engineer

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It’s not just sitting the entire weight of an enormous deck on a ‘bit of 2x2’ it’s cutting joists to fit tightly, nailing them to a ledger plate with presumably 4” nails, the ledger is bolted to a wall and the bearer is then fixed to the ledger, the joists are held by the nails, they bear two inches (which is an effective span, they only bear two inches sitting within a joist hanger remember) on the bearer, and presumably there will be noggins ie blocking fitted side by side to strengthen and tighten the joist ends. The decking then ties every joist together. It’s not a huge deck with parties and dozens of people congregating in one space. How did you think suspended floors were constructed before the invention of joist hangers?

13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Just run the joists straight out, the boards dont have to be 90 to them.

14. Furloughed Lad

F73A6498-4ABF-47D4-9F71-ECE153AE1C04.jpeg That was my initial idea, but I know very little about woodwork