door hinge fixing into trim

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tom_222, Apr 20, 2020.

1. tom_222

tom_222 New Member

hi all,

I added some trim to a door frame as the wall was being overboarded and skimmed so bought it out about 15-20mm.

I now need to change the door so it opens into the room as opposed to into the corridor. The issue is the my hinges are going to be fixed into the ~20mm trim and not enough of the door frame. What are your thoughts?

I think a butt hinge with 35mm on side (for the door) and ~50/60 the other side would be ideal but can't find anything like this online. (yes, I know it would be eating into the door stop but happy to live with that)

Any ideas welcome!

2. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

My thoughts .

Can you not move the door stop? The hinges you describe, I’ve never heard of, or maybe I’m just not reading it right...an unequal hinge that’s confused me...

3. tom_222

tom_222 New Member

door stop will be the thickness of the door away from edge so can't really move it.

Yeah, an unequal hinge is basically what i need but cant find one

4. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I can’t understand the issue, if the extra trim has been glued and pinned flush to the door frame, then just hang the door as per normal with normal hinges onto the trim part. Put a photo up if further explanation is needed.