Replacing radiators - aligning pipework - pipe benders

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DavidMSmith, May 20, 2020.

1. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Coronavirus lockdown has resulted in a shortening list of DIY jobs to do & replacing rads is now near the top!

We live in a late 70's build house with a CH system that was probably over-designed at the time it was built. Improvements to thermal insulation we've made since moving in means that's certainly the case now.
    Several of the original rads are pretty ugly and tatty, so replacement is the obvious route. Most of them are bulky doubles, and calcs indicate that we could slim down to single panel single convector in most cases.

I can tweak rad choice to maintain pipe to pipe centres OK esp using rad valve extenders. The issue is projection from the wall if a shallower rad is used - pipework is not going to align without modification to pipework. I'd rather not just pad out the new rad brackets from the wall.

A couple of rads had already been replaced by the previous owner, and the supply pipework has been replaced above floor level with a piece of 15mm pipe with 2 opposing approx 20 degree bends to effectively shift the pipe 20-30mm back towards the wall to achieve alignment to the new rad valve. Looks like an elongated S and quite neat with a solder fitting connection to the old pipework.

I'm reasonably DIY competent, but not necessarily that good with a pipe bending spring and doing it by hand! Contemplating buying a pukka heavy duty pipe bender eg Screwfix 18255. Never used one of these, so not sure of the mechanics and any restrictions imposed by the formers. Can it be used to put two gentle ~ 20 degree bends opposing each other very close together? Or does the former restrict the spacing of the bends?

I'd rather not resort to lifting floorboards - in any case there are joists running parallel next to the wall that would restrict pipe repositioning options.

Any other suggestions to achieve an aesthetically pleasing outcome?

Many thanks in anticipation

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Pipe benders take some practice and putting in an S bend accurately I find very difficult if not impossible. I'd take the floor boards up and do it "properly", it will be a lot easier I think in the end.

I have that exact pipe bender, its pretty good.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I think you'd find a pipe spring quite successful after a little practice. The drawback with them is they don't readily go into into a pipe that's been cut with a slice - until you've reamed the pipe out again (which you should be doing anyway).

Edit: When using a spring, bend a little further than you need and then back off again - it makes getting the spring out easier.

4. Riddor

Riddor Member

pull up the boards and run in plastic much easier and the boards will come up ok on a house of that age unlike the sites of today with the T/G chipboards

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Plastic, yuck! Soldered end-feed copper every day for me and twice on Sundays.

6. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. Very unlikely you could get a shallow "S" with pipe benders, depends on the length within which you want the bends to be.
    2. Could probably do it with a spring.
    3. Could space the brackets off the wall with a couple of battens to bring centres to same place.

7. Riddor

Riddor Member

That is the best thing about plastic it bends

8. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Typically, the length from floor to valve will be around 150 mm. If you want to achieve an offset of 25 mm, in my opinion you will be putting too much strain on the connection into the radiator with plastic pipe.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If the flooring can be easily lifted then that’s what should be done.
    Job will look a lot better and you can then fit any size or thickness you want.

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

As with others, lift the boards and rework from below. That will remove any extenders too which are, in my opinion, unsightly and show laziness. Fit nice looking TRVs with chrome pipe rising and you will be in your wife's good book.

I like plastic pipe - but not for radiators, it looks wrong when on display with the oversize fittings.

As for your original questions, you can do what you need but it needs a lot of practice especially if you want to achieve it without creases.

11. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Many thanks to you all your advice - much appreciated! The majority seems to be in favour of lifting the floorboards!

Joe the Plumber likes this.