SDS 240v Recommendations

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by MrM, May 26, 2020.

1. MrM

MrM Member

Evening all,

I was given an old Makita SDS drill about 5 years ago, so it's around 10 years old now and it's finally given up, so in the market for a new one.

Main uses will be masonry drilling (Brick Walls and Concrete Posts/Bases) and I plan to core drill through two layers of house brick shortly also, plan to run some cables in the walls shortly so will be using the chisel to chase out also.

Looking for 240v mains powered, as I will be using it infrequently, so don't want any battery issues with infrequent use or temperate change.

Budgets is around £150.

These are what I have so far, can anyone tell me to stay away or perhaps do some more research?

* Bosch GBH 2-28 850W 2kg 3 Function SDS Plus Hammer Drill 240V

https://www.toolstation.com/bosch-gbh-2-28-850w-2kg-3-function-sds-plus-hammer-drill/p45598

* DeWalt D25133K 3 Mode 26mm SDS Hammer Drill 240V

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-d25133k-3-mode-26mm-sds-hammer-drill/p86336

Thanks for your advice.

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

MrM likes this.
  3. MrM

MrM Member

Thank you, I hadn't done any price comparison yet, so that helps.

The Core I'm looking at is going to be 150mm or so! It's for a cooker hood extractor ducting, I've not measured but believe around 120mm-160mm generally?.

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'm not sure a SDS drill would be suitable for core drilling. The only time that I have core drilled, I was loaned a drill with some sort of centrifugal clutch. It's not my trade, but I'm sure someone will be commenting on here, either correcting or agreeing with me.

5. DannyDoLittle

DannyDoLittle Active Member

6. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I use an earlier version of the Bosch - now around 12+ years old and have drilled 117mm cores in concrete, bricks and some strange "concrete bricks". You can use an SDS for cores provided it has a non-impact mode and also a clutch.

A 150-160 will take a lot of effort and I will suggest a rethink.

Have a look at the Domus range https://www.domusventilation.co.uk/ventilation-solutions/ducting-range where you will find a brick size outlet - in 220x90 ducting which is 19,800 sq mm. 6" round is 18,300 sq mm. Run the vertical from the hood in 6"/150 and then use a converter to go from round to flat at a suitable point before exiting through a rectangular brick size plate. Cutting out a full brick outside and stitch drilling the internal block/brick will be much easier and the plates blend in nicely,