New Drive Quote - Imprinted Concrete or Pavours???

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by kiteboy, May 31, 2020.

1. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Hi all

Had a quote recently to do a new drive which we desperately need after house extension was built 2 years ago now - we currently have an old concrete drive - but its been torn up in places now so its time to renew it - my missus is on my case too

Its not cheap by any stretch so far (waiting on another quote at the mo) but just wanted to know if there is a rough cost per sqm for pavours and /or imprinted concrete??

I gather there is no real perfect drive - they all have issues of some sort - my main issue with pavours is that over time they do go kind of scruffy looking - the issue with imprinted concrete is access to services and the mare of patching up if needed and also the resealing every year, plus riskof cracking too :(

My neighbour also had pavours done recently and the people were there just two days in total ripping up old and relaying the new and where the car goes its sinking now badly - no edge support too - so a poor job in all

Any one offer any tips or advice?? I have thought of resin too - but again that has certain issues too

The drive in part will be parked on too

Thanks for any advice

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Mine done in 1992 bloke was here 6 weeks still amazing (£3K) circa 60 square metres to be honest looking a bit tired now, it is cleaned as and when, will be doing that again shortly and this time will probably seal it to enhance the colours with a wet look finish.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I think imprinted concrete looks sh*te. That is purely my personal opinion and as I don't know where you live...
    Having a carp drive like your neighbour isn't compulsory - although it is inevitable if it isn't done properly. One isn't a particularly representative example either. You might need to cast your net further afield. How about next door but one? I don't do social media (apart from here and this can quickly become antisocial media) but ask around on Facebook or the like. People will be pleased with a good job they've had done (but beware of axe grinders)

Get several quotes (and specifications) and ask for references or examples. Go to look at the work. As you're starting to suspect you might have to pay for a good job.

Don't be sucked in by find-a-cowboy websites either. If the contractor is good the chances are they're not on them and they've got a decent waiting list.

Good luck.

chillimonster, ramseyman and Abrickie like this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Didn't mention...mine is block pavers.

5. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Most of the neighbors have block pavours and a lot look quite bad with weeds etc tbh - I am planning on driving around to try and find some older imprinted concrete - just to see how that looks

The one real quote we have is for £6K for block pavours and thats for 80sqm - we are in Swansea

I am hoping for another quote to come soon too

I made the mistake of just pricing up pavours myself to see what they alone cost - came to roughly 1.5K! just for them not including the aco drains we need and the substrate too - quote seems a lot to me but everything does these days but yeh I agree may as well pay for a good job rather than pulling the lot up again in a few years

6. robgul

robgul Active Member

Just had our driveway done - cost ~£75 m2 - that's in a mix of 3 sizes of Tobermore Tegula paving blocks with all the digging out, hardcore, rolling, sand etc - with edge kerbs.

Rob

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

As fake as a £13 note...

8. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Yeh agree - does look kinda fake but I think the missus is really against pavours as they can go scruffy

Ive tried to tell her if something needs to come up - we can just lift up em up and relay em - no probs- shes not having it really

I do like those Tegula blocks
    Its in a similar price bracket then ..... per suqare meter wise

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. robgul

robgul Active Member

If you want to message me I'll send a picture - the main area is in the Bracken with an edge row in Charcoa, all bounded with a dark grey kerbstone - and where are you? - our contractor was brilliant (he'd already done my brother-in-law's drive) and the price was bang on with 2 other quotes

And I'd agree that the printed concrete looks awful BUT it does work to hide structural defects on the drive and/or the edge of house footings (DAHIKT) - it also just shoots the rain water off which may have an impact "downstream" - the blocks allow water through them for better drainage

Rob

10. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I would go block pavers every time as to me it's a better looking and much more forgiving material.

As ever it needs to be be done properly though: daughter's house's previous owner was the world's best (worst?) bodger. Decides block paving is the way to go so hires digger goes down a couple of feet, fills with type 1 lays his sand and (in fairness) makes a nice job of the paving complete with raised kerbs round a couple of beds. Of course he didn't bother with anything complicated like compacting the type 1 or the blocks so it is now up and down 2 or 3 inches. Another job for good old dad sometime.

What I have noticed is a huge variation in quoted prices around theses parts (Essex) not necessarily cheap bad/expensive good. Time taken isn't a great indicator of quality either: it doesn't need to take long to do the job properly.

11. happy chapper

happy chapper Member

12. happy chapper

happy chapper Member

I have had imprinted concrete on drive done twice, previous house had the dye floated into concrete (best way) second time they painted it on (****). Insist on plenty of expansion joints, as both have had cracks. Resealing easy to do every 3 years, I paid £80/m2 both times....... go to a reputed company, and visit other drives done several years ago, speak to customers...Good luck.