Plywood over floorboards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Noopets, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Noopets

Noopets Member

Evening,

The wife has decided that she wants LVT that we have in our kitchen to now be put in the adjacent room which is currently carpeted.

I’ve a feeling I’m going to have a nightmare as the floorboards aren’t that even and a few have been taken out and rammed back in by sparks etc (usual stuff).

Thinking about overboarding it so I’ve got a fresh surface to go on. Can anyone advise my best options, plywood/hardwood?

Or do I rip floorboards up (12sqm) and put chipboard down?!

I’ve been putting it off for a while now and it’s not going away

cheers

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well..... your not going to know the full situation until you pull up the carpet but like most houses, the floors have been subjected to abuse over the years from plumbers and electricians when lifting boards and as you say, boards aren't always put back down in the way that they were found :eek:
    But this will only be in limited areas so pointless ripping up all 12sqm

6mm (but usually more like 5.5mm) flooring ply is used in this situation, or if floors are very uneven, maybe go up to 9mm and overboard the current floorboards

If your doing this yourself, buy 8x4 sheets for best economy and have them delivered by a local woodyard (if in your area)

Once carpet is up, perfect time to inspect and repair any suspect boards. Boards that have been damaged from lifting previously and may be split or have chunks missing, best to replace before the ply goes down. Any boards that move, squeak or feel dipped, also sort them out at this stage

Can replace individual boards with same type floorboard timber or rips of chipboard of same depth, cant see it matters what you use within reason

Then ply the lot, use an air or electric stapler and put in loads and loads and then loads more, all across the ply, especially around edges and make sure boards are flat to their neighbours, no raised lips, although can be sanded down if needed

Be aware of risk of pipes and cables possibly anywhere under floor so if a loose board, don't be tempted to drive a 50mm screw through board - you may hit something

Likewise with staples, allow a length so that staple is just below ply surface, into floorboard but doesn't break through the underside

Nice flat floor ready for finish - good luck

Noopets likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Some LVT suppliers recommend 12mm flooring grade ply SP101 as cheaper plywood has been known to de-laminate in use.

Noopets likes this.
  4. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

If you replace the floor you could insulate underneath aswell

ElecCEng likes this.
  5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I sheeted over our wooden kitchen floor with 9mm ply before having it tiled. I used Reisser cutter 4mm x 25mm screws to fix the ply about 150 mm apart. That was 7 or 8 years ago and have had no trouble with the floor since then.