Replacing a 2 pin charger

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Carol G, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Carol G

Carol G New Member

I recently bought a childs ride on battery powered car from someone in this country (uk), but the car had originally come from abroad India i think) and as such, comes with a charger with a two pin plug. Would it be ok to replace this charger with a three pin charger to enable me to charge the car up? It sounds the obvious thing to do but just wanted to be on the safe side as it takes 8 hours to charge the battery so i could be in another room some of the time its charging. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Is it labelled to operate at 230 volts.is it certified as safe. From another country that doesn’t have the same safety rules as we do. Others will no doubt comment shortly.

3. Carol G

Carol G New Member

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure as i don't have the manual for the car. The charger that came with it says input :AC110v-240v.

4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Before you replace , you need to find out what the output voltage and current rating is plus the correct type of plug at the end of the wire where it’s plugged into the toy. You also need to check the polarity of this plug.

if the wall wart is double insulated ( usually are) you can use a universal socket strip where you can use existing power supply.

if unsure, get someone knowledgeable to check the thing out

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Are the pins round or flat? If flat, you can probably use a US/UK travel adaptor.

6. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

If this adaptor was for use in India, it will have round pins like our old 5amp plugs - the continental/UK adaptors will fit but US/UK adaptors have flat pins at an angle so won’t

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

A picture of the adapter will be useful - ensure it shows the label and text in detail and the pins.

malkie129 likes this.
  8. Carol G

Carol G New Member

The output voltage is DC12v and 1000mA. It's a power adapter charger.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You could just convert what you currently have. This could do the job. FBC5C0E6-078C-48E6-B405-F51139565A0B.jpeg

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

It is not just that, but the various symbols and "approvals" shown

11. Carol G

Carol G New Member

thumbnail_20200611_173429.jpg

Attached Files:

12. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

A UK to European travel adaptor ( its the opposite of what you get in travel shops - they are for use in Europe where you plug uk three pin plugs) will work.

13. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Can you post a photo of the connector at the other end of the wire. It should be possible to find an equivalent power supply with a UK plug.

14. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

That's what I thought,but most of the ones I have seen in the UK take a Shuoko (excuse spelling) plug, i.e. they are not flat-faced, but flat ones maybe available in Europe.

15. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

What I don’t like with some of the adapters is that if the adapter is plugged into the socket but nothing in to the adapter then the contacts can be seen.
    Could be dangerous I guess.
    Some cheap nasty stuff going around.

16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

17. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

18. Carol G

Carol G New Member

This is what the connector looks like at the other end of the wire. Not sure if this is a universal fitting, if anyone knows? So that i could perhaps purchase an uk equivalent charger. I do have an EU to UK adapter, the flat type not schuko type. But there would be exposed holes onced plugged in, is that ok? The plug on this charger doesn't have the flat contact areas for earth so would you still use schuko adapter in that case? Was just hoping i could just buy a 3 pin equivalent to this two pin charger....if thats possible and safe.

thumbnail_20200612_082702.jpg

19. Carol G

Carol G New Member

61GG7J-bQ3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Maybe something like this as it's 12v and 1000mA output same as power adapter charger that came with the car.

20. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Possibly. You would need to ensure that the output orientation of the 12v plug is the same on both. I mean that the centre pin is +ve or -ve. The original doesnt indicate this on the adapter. You may need a volt meter to check this.

I would prefer to use an adapter at the mains plug end rather than changing the whole thing. There are lots of options as described above.