Internal door supplier / manufacturer advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mackie, Aug 1, 2020.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Hi

Looking to change 6 internal doors to oak (veneer). Two will be partially glazed the rest solid. All are standard sizes.

Any advice on a good supplier / manufacturer or one to steer clear of.

2. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

Most local merchants use the same manufacturers. LPD, XL etc. Just go with whoever has the best discount at the time.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks like you have dug a hole for yourself! :D

mackie likes this.
  4. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

Have oak veneer doors in my home from LPD who seem to be one of the biggest in that area. Quality is good no complaints, very heavy. Think it comes down to the quality of the fitting more than anything else.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Check how thick the oak lippings are around the doors edge, cheaper doors means thinner lippings and if the doors need a fair bit of planing to fit, thin lippings means extra grief and hassle.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Id like to find a decent door furniture supplier. Sf are fine if they got what you, like but apart from that I've had nothing but trouble. Also found the doors at wickes very good and not the same as the other company groups, as got caught out thinking that buying some from benchmark

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Have you ever tried ironmongery direct? They're not bad, though like anything you get what you pay for.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Given up on e Hardware. Was ordering online from them and is not working for me. You can't get in contact to sort out problems. Seems some handles are made in batches which look different, orders are not correctly picked and in my case missing bits so won't use again.Howdens won't let you place orders so end up driving from branch to branch grabbing stock which is a pain. Benchmark have a next day ordering service but it is random what you get. They also cant order products if they are showing stock when in fact they haven't got any which is mad. I don't do much door hanging and is something I'd like like to offer more of, but the nightmares of finding materials puts me off. I'm thinking many buy from B&Q judging but the mass of doors at my local store? Getting all the door furniture for a house that matches and then the doors that aren't damaged or bowed is a headache

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I absolutely hate hanging doors so I leave it all to the customer, it's not worth the headache if as you say there's a problem with the ironmongery or dent in the doors that you've supplied then the responsibility and onus is on you to rectify any issues, for no recompense from the supplier. Plus we're not psychic, so when the customer says "ooh I'd like some nice handles" your definition of nice and theirs could be wildly different, cue more headaches and running around sourcing replacements, etc.

It's a different scenario if all you offer is a supply and fit door hanging service as that's a one trick pony and primary source of income so it would make sense to have a good system to adhere to so profits are maximised, but for the rest of us it's just a ballache to be avoided.

Wayners likes this.
  10. Dan Parkinson

I also hate hanging doors. The time and effort that has to go into getting them bang on, just isn't worth it. Meanwhile someone always knows a guy who'll fit then for £20 a door.

Last big door job I did was for 15 internal fire doors all with latches and 3 lever deadlocks (guy keen on security). Priced for supply and fit with mark up on the doors, he asked for a breakdown of the bill then he managed to pay Howdens (he knew one of the sales staff) directly for the materials leaving me less than £50 per door for fitting.
    This was back in December, he called 2 week ago saying 3 of the doors were catching, so I went for a look and he'd had new carpet put down, claims he hadn't so wouldn't pay.

I knew the carpet was new as I'd spent that long staring at the floor asking myself why I was doing the job.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

He wouldn't pay you for what? Cutting the bottoms of the three? Did you do them?! I don't wish to sound mouthy or anything but why did you allow him to pay Howdens direct? It was nothing to do with him in that sense, you were supply and fit, he owed you. Less than fifty quid for a fire door, I know it depends how much you need the work but I would have honestly told him to find someone else.

12. Dan Parkinson

I got the job through the Howdens sales person so it put me in a bad position. Didn't need the work, I'd wrapped up for Xmas but thought I'd squeeze it in rather than go Xmas shopping.

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

People like that give customers a bad name, I would have thanked the rep for his recommendation but politely told him never again. It's not worth the bad feeling and anger throughout the job knowing you've been shafted and you're working for peanuts whilst the guy is sitting smug.

14. mackie

mackie Member

Dan / Jord, what would be a reasonable price per door for fitting? No fire doors involved.

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Depends where in the country you are, I'm in South Wales so things are generally less than in say the Midlands or down South, expect upwards of £60 minimum or a price to do the lot depending on a few things, two or three hinges, latches or locks, access, type and state of frames or linings the doors are to go into, one man band undertaking the work or Ltd company, etc etc.

Andyb666 and mackie like this.
  16. Dan Parkinson

I aim for £50-£60 in the North West. Depending on door type and ironmongery

mackie likes this.
  17. mackie

mackie Member

I was budgeting on £50 per door, can afford a bit more if needs be, was thinking of doing it myself but then put my sensible hat on, I am only a DIY'er.

18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If you want a good traditional ironmongers you could try https://www.slingers1858.co.uk/home Very long standing but no online shop so you have to talk to them. Fortunately only down the road from me.

19. Dan Parkinson

Down the road from me too