Home Theatre System

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JayJay83, Aug 4, 2020.

1. JayJay83

JayJay83 New Member

Hi all,

I currently have a Samsung blu ray home theatre system which has 2 small speakers and a sub with are wired connected not blutooth Connected. The actual DVD player/receiver has seen better days and is giving up the ghost so will replace it. However, the speakers are fine and as we don’t watch dvds I wondered if I could swap this with a home theatre receiver and use the existing speakers?

the reason that I ask this is that the current speakers have a thin duel wire with both ends in a small connected which then plus into the blue ray player. All the home theatre receivers o have looked at have screw connectors on the rear that you place bare wires into and tighten up.

could I simply remove the connector on my current speaker wires, strip them back and connect to receiver?

hope the above makes sense. Thanks

2. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

HI Jay
    Yes you can so long as the speaker impedance is supported by the Amp normally 8/4 Ohms (be printed on rear of speaker)
    Plus they can handle the wattage the Amp can give out per channel.

If not go buy some Bose speaker stuff
    Let's Rock!

3. JayJay83

JayJay83 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

If the current speakers don’t work with the receiver then I’ll invest in some new ones.

may the moment I have an optical cable that runs the sound from the TV to the home theatre system, I assume the same can be used to transfer the sound to the receiver.

4. John.h.

John.h. Member

Use a hdmi cable for the sound

5. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

Yes most good home theatre amps are equipped with TOS Link optical input connections for various sources.
    My Yamaha DSP-A1 Has a think 8 Optical inputs, If I didn't want to use a copper audio input.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I had a Panasonic dvd home theater system that died. 5.1 speakers were fine and hung on walls but these systems are 3-ohm speakers and you can't drive them with any old amplifier. Needs to be a 3-ohm amp and for reasons best known to the gods across all the home dvd theater brands its the same.I bought a Sony dvd theater system for £35 from cash converts with 3 speakers (2 missing) but didn't use them. Used my current 5 Panasonic speakers but had to fix/bodge up 2 more speaker plugs to get all 5 of my existing speakers going. See loads of the 3-ohm speakers for sale but they are useless without the correct amp. Will run but could cause amp to blow especially if you turn volume up...