I end up in such a mess.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Wottsy2000, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Wottsy2000

Wottsy2000 New Member

I’ve had my first go at tiling in the bathroom walls the past few days. Taking it slow bit by bit. Im just putting white subway tiles on waterproof concrete backer boards. I’ve found it a bit of a learning curve and now I’m wishing I’d started somewhere unimportant rather than round the bath! Nevertheless it’s getting better as I go and im more or less happy with the finish. My problem is I end up with more adhesive on me and the floor than on the wall. Is that normal for a beginner or am I getting the adhesive mix wrong?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's normal, but you'd have been better off using ready mixed adhesive from a tub rather than mix your own, easier, quicker and less faff.

3. Mix your self adhesive can be messy if your new to it, try using a hawk to bring the slop to the wall, keep the hawk under your work area to catch any spill, once you get the hang of it you may find you have no use for the hawk, also if your left handed your going to find the notched trowel fun to use.

Stick with it, mix your own adhesive is far better than a lot of that ready mixed rubbish you buy from the sheds.