fixing for oak architrive

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ajmoore, May 3, 2005.

1. ajmoore

ajmoore New Member

I have got to fix some oak architrave around some oak door casings. I have been told it is best to use stainless steel nails but i cant find a supplier.My local builders center said sinks was the only things they sold in stainless. Does anyone know if stainless lost heads are available and where i can get some. I have aprrox 12 door casings to do or will galv do.

Many thanks

2. chappers

chappers Member

if you can't find stainless you should be able to find sheradised, they will probably be quite fine pins so pilot the oak first.

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

with oak you use stainless, brass or bronze anything else will stain oak (the oak reacts with other metals)

sheradising is a form of zinc plating, zinc stains oak.

4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

By a pack of stainless brads for a Paslode nailer, snap them off & drive with a hammer. Good excuse for buying a new brad nailer.

Jason

5. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

I would tell your local supplier to get off his fat a**e and find you what you want.

Stainless nails are available, cos I used some a couple of years ago, they were 3" wires though, a bit heavy for your architrave.

You do need to use stainless, you will regret using anything else in a few months time.

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

7. ajmoore

ajmoore New Member

Cheers jason, i bought a few packs today.