Drill bits and screws

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by koolpc, Sep 3, 2020.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I have loads of old drill bits that i want to replace. They have seen better days. I want to get a set of good masonry and wood drill bits. What are your recommendations with links?

Also, i want to also get a good set of screws. I have boxes of old mixed screws!

I would like to get a decent set of different screws. I guess posidrive is the most popular head?

Any recommendations and links to a decent box set of different sized screws? Wood, general use.

Thanks guys

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

As an apprentice, I was taught how to sharpen twist drills (usually metal HSS types) on a bench grinder. We had to make a steel drill tip angle gauge as one of our test pieces.
    I can still do it, although I'm fairly out of practice. It's strangely satisfying to do.

That's absolutely no use to you, I know, but I rarely throw out drill bits.

Irwin drill bits seem well made to me, or Dormer of course, if they're still going.

malkie129 likes this.
  3. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

I got a set of https://www.toolstation.com/bosch-m...MIltrrme7O6wIVB-ztCh0WbwexEAUYASABEgJAoPD_BwE and I’m very pleased with them.

Cant say about screws really, I normally just pick up a few boxes of whatever they have in Screwfix, Toolstation, etc but then I’m a DIYer mainly using them for partition walls or plywood cabinets and shelving do don’t need super high quality.

I have recently started using Fischer wall plugs though. Who would have thought you could have a favourite wall plug!

malkie129 likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Dewalt extreme masonry drills are the best. I like the metal drilling ones as well.
    Turbo gold screws for wood

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Don't laugh, but I often pick up a couple of boxes of screw when I see them for sale in " the middle of Lidl". I've found them to be really good quality.

6. After many a long fight with concrete and that infernal nofines walls I settled on the Bosch multi bits and Dewalt extremes, both mentioned in this thread by people who probably do more drilling than I do, found the Bosch ones ideal for tiles if the tips still good, I keep a set of the smaller ones just for tiles.

I have a few of those Irwin multi bits but not put them to the test yet.

As for sharpening HSS bits, I replaced my bench grinder with one that didn't run on steam, made a jig and set about sharpening the half a million blunt bits I have, an hour later I had some sharp points but a lot of small bits, either I am heavy handed or the bench grinders going too fast but I
    did like the sparks flying off, made me look like I knew what I was doing. :D

I have a few of those middle of lidl screw collections, I just pick up random stuff these days, only used a few of them but they seem OK for the price.

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I find the screwfix silverscrews fine for most applications, can get grab packs. I have had the heads shear off when screwing into deep hard wood without pre drilling, but kinda what you'd expect. Cheap as chips.

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Looking to get a decent set of screws snd drill bits as sick of grabbing my blunt drill bits and looking for screws the same size.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Easy to re-sharpen a drill.......if you know what to do.;)

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

11. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Can you sharpen masonary drills, didn`t think you could ever get them back to proper sharpness.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes they can be sharpened successfully.

13. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

You need a particular type of grinding wheel for masonry bits. It used to be called a green wheel (it was green...) but that was many years ago, so possibly things have moved on since then.

malkie129 and Astramax like this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's correct, Green Grit wheel as it was a softer wheel in being that it wore away exposing fresh grit to cut through the Tungsten Carbide and sharpen the masonry tip.

Joe the Plumber likes this.