Using ground screws for fencing

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by brillopad, Sep 19, 2020.

1. brillopad

brillopad New Member

Hi Guys,

Has anyone used ground screws from https://stop-digging.co.uk/ or similar for installing fences instead of digging and setting the posts in concrete?

The idea of not having to do all the digging does appeal and they list fencing as an application but I wondered if anyone has any experience or opinions for/against.

Cheers

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Experience no but I would be wary about the forces on the joint: there's a lot of wind load on a 6 foot panel.

The best way to put up a fence is to do it once by doing it right and that is concrete posts and concrete gravel boards.

Hole digging isn't too bad with the right tool:

Roughneck Fibreglass Post-Hole Digger (35835)

brillopad likes this.
  3. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

If it's virgin soil then a digging bar, usually about 6ft long. If you've got to dig the old
    post and concrete out and then use this hole due to positioning considerations then
    use a concrete breaker. Have had Screwfix' Titan for five years now. Heavy , vibrating
    piece of kit but best £ 150 I've spent on fencing equipment. Digging bar was next best.

brillopad likes this.
  4. brillopad

brillopad New Member

Thank you for your insights guys, I'll give them a miss and look at correct the digging tools. The existing fence has concrete and wooden posts, looks like they just sacrificed half a foot of garden and stuck the concrete in front of the new one, defintely want to do it once and right.