Exterior Gloss Inside ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by welshblue, Sep 18, 2020.

1. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

After a nightmare of using Berger Satin ... peeling, scratching off etc even after 2 coats of Zinsser 123
    I sent my wife to get another paint.

A couple of days later I've just realised she's got Johnstone's Exterior Gloss and the receipt has gone in the bin.

Any thoughts as to using it inside, or is it too high in VOC's to make it bearable ?

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

There are more chemicals in exterior gloss which aren't ideal for indoor use, but I suppose eventually they would dissipate.
    However it seems exterior paint is softer and more flexible, so perhaps not as durable indoors.
    Only a guess, but another consideration might be yellowing. Oil based paint yellows in low light conditions, so generally not an issue outside. It may be that exterior paint has different properties so won't be suited for these lower light levels.

welshblue likes this.
  3. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

Thanks for reinforcing some of my thoughts @AnotherTopJob and adding more reasons for not bothering.
    Will buy another can

Anyone with any suggestions for Satin for a handrail and newel posts.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Take forever to dry. Will stay sticky and smell that exterior gloss. Don't use
    To prep
    Quick wash as don't want to grind in dirt. Sand. Wash with gloss off or Virosol or sugar soap. Crown fastflow or bedec paint .. What you using berger for? Bet that some right tack. Gee... Remember water based paints can take a week to harden although they seem dry in a couple of hours.
    With bs 123 you used to prime you still need to wash. Sand. Clean. You just can pop the lid and bang and expect it to stick. It's needs an abraded surface and be clean and with stick solid

welshblue likes this.
  5. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

Was too impatient as I had a stairs and landing carpet to lay, and the local crown trade centre didn't have what I wanted for a couple of days.
    So went to a local indie hardware shop who swore by the Berger. Tack ? Made a right mess thinking I could mask it 3 days after using it.

I did all the above but possibly not as thorough as I should have

Thanks for the input, will start afresh ... and just found bedec in a grey at my local toolstation, so thanks for the suggestion

Wayners likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'm a big fan of krud cutter gloss off. If it's hard to sand (180 grade) and your a bit lazy or just ocd with prep it's a great product.

welshblue likes this.
  7. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

@Wayners ... just another thanks with pointing me towards Bedec. 2 hours sanding everything back, a good sugar soaping and the first coat looks mint.
    Well impressed and pleased ... and not a drop on the new carpet ..

Wayners likes this.