Retrofitting cavity trays

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Doughelm312, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Doughelm312

Doughelm312 New Member

Good afternoon

Has anyone heard of "smart tray" cavity trays which claim to be able to be installed through a single cut in the wall rather than removing 2 levels of brick?

There is a website under the name "cavity tray man"

Too good to be true?

2. drety

drety Member

Yes, they aren't much use.

3. Doughelm312

Doughelm312 New Member

Aren't much use?

4. drety

drety Member

As in, not very good.

5. Doughelm312

Doughelm312 New Member

Wow, great insight.

Anyone else who is able to actually give a real answer?

6. drety

drety Member

You asked if they were too good to be true and I said yes.

Anything more specific you'd like to know?

7. Doughelm312

Doughelm312 New Member

Maybe abit more detail? How you know? Why are they too good to be true?

I appreciate the response, but I'm trying to decide if they are worth looking into as no builder will even quote to install cavity trays so I was hoping for abit more detail in the specifics of what makes them good/bad etc.

8. drety

drety Member

I fitted them on an NHBC warranty job but they didn't work, water still leaked down the cavity. Trouble is you can't see what has gone wrong or why they weren't working.

Ended up fitting "normal" ones where you can actually see what you are doing.

9. Doughelm312

Doughelm312 New Member

When they say you can install them in one cut do they mean without removing a brick?

I'm kind of at the stage where I'm thinking surely it's worth a go. No one else is willing to remove bricks and fit normal cavity trays. I'm assuming it's too much hassle and not worth the effort for them.

10. drety

drety Member

Yes.

As long as it works for you. It didn't for me and I wouldn't risk them again.

11. Doughelm312

Doughelm312 New Member

When you replaced them did you figure out why they didn't work?

12. drety

drety Member

No, no way of checking.

13. penney1

penney1 New Member

Did you try smart tray after all ??

14. Simba_ali

Simba_ali Member

Nope never tried them and still only half fixed my issue. Have a cavity wall above an extension which is missing cavity trays. it's basically no better that a garage wall (half a brick thick) and the flashing would leak which I have repaired and have had no problems since.

To my knowledge i have had no penetrating damp through the single skin even during very heavy rainfalls. Seems my problem was the flashing joint.