Need some advice with new summerhouse

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Mark2020, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Mark2020

Mark2020 New Member

I started to build my summer house a few months back. It's now up and I'm beginning to see some problems, I know what my issue is but not sure how to fix it.

The summer house is 4x3 metres. It's sitting in a sloped garden right to left and back to front) I dug out about 300mm deep (450mm at the lowest point and about 100mm at the highest) due to the slope. The type 1 is level and compacted accordingly. I then added concrete blocks and on top of that went the summer house base.

The summerhouse base is about 6inches above the type 1 however I didn't put a DPM either before the blocks or afterwards and the blocks seem to be acting like a sponge.

I've dug a trench around the base and filled with pea gravel however at the lowest corner I'm seeing some rising damp inside. The water seems to be collecting at this point in the garden and being soaked up through the blocks and cement and into the summer house.

I'm thinking my options are -:

1. Try to lift the corner just enough to get a DPM under it - this will be very difficult given the size of the summer house

2. Paint the bricks with bitumen, put in some gutters and somehow try to stop the water pooling at that corner

3. Burn the whole thing to the ground and start again!!

Would appreciate thoughts on the above options or any other options anyone has.

Cheers

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

The only way is to get a dPC between the blocks and floor.

3. Mark2020

Mark2020 New Member

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Lifting even the corner might be neigh on impossible

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Totally random idea, using a product I wouldn’t ever use for it’s intended purpose but what about injecting the blocks with a dpc liquid/cream. I know, I’m ashamed for even thinking it but it may just work ;)

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I’d go route 3 , add some petrol and post the video. We all hopefully learn by our mistakes.

Only joking ,seems a bit severe

6. Mark2020

Mark2020 New Member

Didn't know such a product existed but after some reading it seems that opinion are split on whether or not it works

7. Mark2020

Mark2020 New Member

At least it would dry it out!!

8. Mark2020

Mark2020 New Member

Done a bit.more digging Kiesol C seems to be recommended. I don't have a mortar course though. The concrete blocks are sitting on a bed of mortar on the type 1 and the summer house directly on too of the blocks. So you think I'd be OK to inject straight into the blocks? For the price of it I'm thinking of just giving it a go

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

I was thinking straight into the block, if you can’t easily lift the summerhouse it’s worth a try ;)

10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Can you not get a jack under the summerhouse? Low profile trolley jack should be low enough for example

11. Mark2020

Mark2020 New Member

Cheers £15 for 310ml . Will give it a go in that specific areas. Thanks for your help

12. Mark2020

Mark2020 New Member

Possiblity, I only need to lift it a few mm to get a dpc under the corner. But I'm not sure if the summer house is too heavy or if it might twist/buckle any of the timber

13. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Daft as it seems I can see it actually working