Cost Of 1930s Semi Reroof

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Peter Goodchild, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Is Trustmark registered,NFRC not one of the cowboys on My Builder who write their own positive reviews.

2. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Peter Goodchild likes this.
  3. My brother in laws neice, had her semi in Plymouth last year reroofed for £5K, by a cowboy from My Builder, roof leaked in several places, battens not lined up, had a Trustmark guy out, around 5K to put it all right, then she has to sue the first guy...... total..... nightmare for a young woman to cope with...... Don't need it, life is too short:)

4. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Yep. Lots of people come here after having a life-changing experience with a contractor from MyBuilder. That’s how I found myself here. I really enjoy DIY too and have been trying my hand since I was a kid. But I was also threatened by the guy. I’m female and have found it incredibly difficult to find good decent contractors who don’t look at me and think ‘brill, she’s a walkover... let’s see what I can get away with’.

5. Bit like me, nose ring, long hair.... oh, here we go,another space case, living on planet Zycong, not knowing I'm Vegan, been teetotal all my life, kick boxing,don't even take aspirin. Quite funny really, I'm standing there, and them..... coming out with all this.... total horse dollop :)

6. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Yeah people like to make assumptions, most male contractors think that because I am female that I know nothing about DIY or building work at all.

They think my job is to make them tea and look pretty for them and I won’t notice that they’ve plastered the light switch into the wall or rendered over my damp course or put the skirt back the wrong way round. These are just some of the things that have happened! I have a list as long as my arm of all the jobs done to my house by so called professional tradesmen who I’ve paid to fix things but they’ve bodged instead.

I hired a scaffold tower last year and put it up at the back of my house with the help of a friend. I was painting the back of my house and minding my own business when a landscaping contractor in next door’s garden started shouting at me ‘why are you painting , you should be paying a professional to do it’. I asked him what his problem was. If I was a fella, do you think they’d have said that to me? Doubt it. They’ve made the assumption that because I’m female I shouldn’t be painting the back of my own property. I had intended to pay a professional to do it but because the so-called professional plasterer bodged my house I used all my budget to pay another professional plasterer to fix it.

7. Um, as I say, much the same for me, really irks me, why do they..... assume, like that? Is so sad, that some people are, just a complete waste of space, only too happy, as a matter of course, to short change people and take advantage of them, shocking really.
    Take care, stay safe.

8. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Who knows but essentially it’s because it suits them. If they do so they get to run rings around you ie. they do a s*** job, you pay them them and they get to feel like they’re worth it cue the L’oreal advert. It’s horse dollop as you say. Nice chatting to you. All the best and an early Happy Christmas and New Year to you :)

9. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Born in 1946 so I just about remember the "old money"..:D