Making large drawers for fitted wardrobe

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jimwillsher, Dec 16, 2020.

1. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Member

Hi

We have a fitted wardrobe in the recess under a coombed ceiling, and at the base there are four bays, quite sizable - approx 1080mm deep, 300mm high and around 500mm wide. We didn't actually know how we were going to use this wardrobe so we didn't get drawers made, but now we want drawers.

Due to the size, I am looking at 950mm drawer runners. However I have two concerns. Firstly, I am not sure I can crawl far enough into the bay (300mm high) to be able to fix the runners to the sides, and secondly, each bay is separated by 18mm MDF and I'm worried that 18mm isn't long enough for decent screws to hold the weight.

Can anyone offer any thoughts/views/ideas? One idea I had was to fix the runners to a rectangle of ply or OSB (1080 x 300) and then slide the whole piece into the bay and screw it to the MDF. That way at least the runners will be level. But that's then eating into the width. Alternatively, I wondered about fixing castors to the base of the drawer but SHMBO doesn't want the "clunk" as each pair of wheels runs off the front of the bay as the drawer is pulled out.

I didn't have a third option, but I'm hoping for some suggestions. Dismantling the unit to retrospectively fit the runners isn't an option.

Many thanks

Jim

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Hi Jim
    I think your idea of using a seperate side panel is a good one. It can be very fiddly getting the drawer runners accurately positioned as it is without having to do it lying on the floor and working thru a 300mm opening!
    As far as runners are concerned get the best quality you can and make sure they are fully extending.
    Good luck

4. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Member

Thanks both, I'll look for undermount runners, and if no joy there I'll take the plunge on side-mount.

Jim

5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yes, thinking about it the undermount runners do seem like a good option.

6. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Member