Katsu Cordless Trimmer

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jake Swarbrick, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Jake Swarbrick

Jake Swarbrick New Member

Hello all,

First post on the forum, I recently bought a katsu cordless trimmer. I was under the impression 1/4” bits would fit. It seems to have come with 6,8,10mm collets. What bits will fit as none of my 1/4” bits fit? Thanks in advance!!

2. robgul

robgul Active Member

Are you sure? I bought a corded Katsu a couple of months ago and 1/4 cutters fit and work perfectly fine - the 6mm collet is close enough to 1/4" to make no difference when tightened up.

3. Jake Swarbrick

I’ve tried about 5 cutters and I can’t get any in. I’ve never used them before only my big 1/2” I can’t even get them close to pushing in the collet! Hurting my brain

4. robgul

robgul Active Member

Stating the bleeding obvious have you got the locking nut around the collet completely wound out (holding the lock button in) to "open the jaws" of the collet? I've just looked at my Katsu and the nut does wind out a bit more than you'd expect.

You might also check the cutters with a vernier in the unlikely event they are not 1/4"

5. Jake Swarbrick

yeah definitely! I have even taken the collet all the way out and tried to force it, no dice. I have just ordered a trend 1/4” I’ll pick that up and give that a go. This is an old Titan set I’ve not used. Thank you.

6. robgul

robgul Active Member

Do report back!

Another long shot - but there are such things as 8mm shank cutters (i.e. more than 1/4") - e.g some of the Trend Professional range - as suggested, check your cutters with a vernier

7. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Rob, I’m sorry mate but that is not only incorrect but potentially dangerous, even a small lump of steel and tungsten spinning at 25000 rpm is shrapnel when it lets go. If you want to take the risk that is your prerogative but you should not advise others to do it. All qualified advice is only use correct size cutter for your collet and inspect cutter and collet for damage or deterioration before use. Apologies again, not a personal dig at you but I’m afraid I couldn’t let that one go.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. Red Star Boats

In answer to op question 6mm and 12mm cutters are standard European sizes though can be found here in limited profiles. 8mm is commonly available here from the better suppliers such a Wealden and Titman. The 10mm is more likely to be 3/8 an obsolete size. Alternatively contact AIM Tools they can supply 1/4 collets.

9. Jake Swarbrick

This is the route I’ve gone down; I’ve ordered collets from Amazon, I must have misunderstood the eBay ad. I ordered the router from aim tools!

10. Red Star Boats

Good man, please don’t think I’m being patronising but even small routers have a ferocious bite. If you are new to routing you could do a lot worse than have a look on Wealden Tools website, they have a series of articles by Ron Fox, will really help you get the best out of the tool and keep your self intact at the same time.

11. Jake Swarbrick

i have sourced and found some aftermarket collets. They are arriving tonight so hopefully tomorrow I should be in business. Thanks

12. Jake Swarbrick

not at all, I have a 1/2” that I use from time to time, I wanted to get a small 1/4” to have as part of my arsenal for the smaller jobs. Thanks for the advice!