New patio doors

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mstiva87, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Mstiva87

Mstiva87 Member

Hi all just after a little advice.. I’m looking to install some patio doors 1800mm there’s currently a window measuring 2400mm it’s a 1960s council semi house. The window has a course of soldier bricks above it but I’m unsure on the lintel as it’s not visible, I know I will have to brick a section of window up to create my new opening size Any advice will be appreciated thanks

Attached Files:

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

My advice would be to get patio doors to fit the opening it will look naff when you try and marry new brickwork into old. Carefully takeout one of your soldiers to see if there is a supporting lintel/angle iron in there

3. Mstiva87

Mstiva87 Member

I know what you saying but what I was planning on doing is using the bricks below to once I’ve cut them out to piece the opening in

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

I’d be amazed if there is a lintel on your external skin, dressing and reusing the bricks is a good call :)

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

How does it work without a lintel? Does the window frame support the wall above?

6. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I agree with the above advice to use the existing opening and not partially brick it up. It will look lopsided from the outside. And without knowing your skill level with brickwork it still a fair bit of work to brick up the outside and deal with the inside wall as well and getting a structurally and cosmetically acceptable finish.

7. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Yes,more so with the old wooden windows but I see yours have been replaced by plastic so depends on what the plastic installer decided on what he could get away with

8. Mstiva87

Mstiva87 Member

I’m just in the process of buying the property hence why I can’t check for lintel at the moment.. it’s going to undergo a full renovation taking a none supporting wall down between kitchen and dining room hence why I’m thinking on pushing the window over approx 600mm to create a little more room for new fitted kitchen. In a year or so I would be considering building a sun room accessed by the new patio doors