Baxi 200 and hive

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bob1980, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Bob1980

Bob1980 New Member

Hi there,

1. Can anyone confirm if hive is compatible with a baxi 200? I've been told it might only be able to turn it on and off with hive as it uses opentherm.

2. Is the hive compatible with the baxi duo tec?

3. In terms of quality and performance what's the difference between the baxi 200 and duo tec?

Basically I listened to a plumber who advised me to get the baxi 200 and now I'm. Regretting it cos it doesn't seem to. Work with the hive and for a few extra hundred quid the duo tec comes with 7 yrs guarantee not 3!

Cheers

Bob

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Hive is compatible with the 200.
    I’ve not fitted it to a 200 but seems simple enough going by the instructions

3. Bob1980

Bob1980 New Member

Are you hundred percent certain? Will. It have full fuctionability such as being able to control temperature?

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Of course you will.
    You just connect it to the 240v terminals and it will work as designed

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

6. Bob1980

Bob1980 New Member

Sorry if my post sounded abrupt.

Not from a plumbing background.

We've had a crappy plumber who's been giving us the run around for some time.. He advised us to. Go. For the cheaper boiler. Then left the other evening without getting the hive to work so we are panicking.. Somebody told us its not compatible.

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Do you have the boilers installation manual?
    If so check that page 43 corresponds to my pic above.

8. Bob1980

Bob1980 New Member

Yes, exactly the same.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It’s simple then.
    The hive receiver gets a LNE supply.
    Then 2 wires from 1&3 on the hive to the connections on the boiler. X4 rt. That link gets removed and the wires from 1&3 take there place.

10. Bob1980

Bob1980 New Member

I appreciate the help with this.

Our plumber has been useless.

Sometimes it feels like he's fobbing us off.

He originally recommended a duo tec, and then went with a 200. Then we found we only, get a 3 Yr warranty and it potentially didn't work with hive. Felt like we were getting an inferior product. Then someone else is telling me the 200 might be better cos its more efficient.

So many opinions...

11. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Most boilers are about the same efficiency.
    Little gains can be made by using certain controls. Oversizing a combi can lead to slight efficiency losses when using the heating.
    Obviously a 7 year warranty would be better than the 3 but decent servicing is just as important.
    Hive works with basically everything.

12. Bob1980

Bob1980 New Member

Thankyou for taking the time to help me. With this, appreciate your assistance.

13. Glennuk

Glennuk Member

I’m not a plumber but just because you didn’t go for the most expensive doesn’t mean it’s going to fall apart in 3 years.my brother talked me into having a main(made by baxi) eco 30 back in 2011 instead of a baxi duo Tec as he did a lot of property maintenance and found them to be good cheap reliable units and it’s been excellent with its first problem in the last couple of weeks which was fixed the same day due to parts availability is great for baxi/main boilers.any plumbers reading this I would be interested to know if the newer main/baxi cheaper boilers are still as reliable as the old ones

14. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have a guy service my boiler, and he admits he has no idea how my controls work, although heating and ventilation, plumbing and electrics may be considered as allied trades, there is a limit to what one can learn. My central heating controls are linked to my lights and the Nest Mini speakers, I think it is unreasonable to expect the plumber to be an IT expert. Even to expect him to do heating and ventilation, he is a worker of lead, that is what plumber means, and a cable jointer also was a worker of lead, yes in the main lead roofs and lead cable joints are things of the past, but the plumber is still a plumber and he will still work on flat roofs.

Personally as an electrical engineer I think Hive is a very clever system, and no I have Nest, but what Hive does is use the system already built into most modulating boilers. It allows you to even control Worcester Bosch boilers who have it seems done all in their power to stop third party control systems.

It uses the return water temperature to control boiler, I will stand corrected, but I don't know of any modulating boiler that can't use the return water temperature to control its output, The wall thermostat is in essence a hub, it will extend boiler run time by 1/2 hour every time it gets a demand for heat, so allows the linked TRV heads to do their job controlling the boiler, and once all linked TRV's are satisfied allows the boiler to switch off.

In spite of Nest Gen 3 having all the cleaver algorithms to work out when to turn boiler off/on or up/down when using OpenTherm and in comparison the Hive is rather dumb, the lack of linking to TRV heads means overall Hive shines, OK Drayton Wiser will really take some beating, however so does the price. But to be fair Hive TRV heads are not cheap, and without one or two Hive TRV heads it is rather dumb, but as soon as you add a couple of TRV heads it is hard to beat.