Is changing a bathroom basin & toilet a DIY job?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by JHXXIII, Mar 26, 2021.

1. JHXXIII

JHXXIII New Member

Hi

I would say I am OK at following instructions and measurements etc and wondered if fitting a new basin/tap and/or toilet is suitable for an OK DIYer?

Am quite happy to get someone in to do it, but if I have some time on my hands I might quite like to give it a go - unless that is a stupid idea.

Any advice as to if its best left to a pro would be helpful, thanks.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It's not rocket science ,but you need to know what to do and how to do it.

3. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Definitely not a stupid idea... It's really very simple, hundreds of DIYers do it every day, give it a go!

Just make sure you know where your stop cock is incase something goes wrong.

Plenty of us here to give you advice if you need it

4. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I have done both on a DIY basis quite a few times now, so I would say go for it.
    If you have the cash to get someone in to do it then keep that as a backup option incase you lose the will halfway through.

Only thing I would avoid is fitting a bath - with the volume of water it holds a small problem can quickly become a big problem.

5. happy chapper

happy chapper Member

Top tip... put isolators on all hot and cold feeds.

SteveMJ likes this.
  6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Are you any good at soldering? Make a decision, copper throughout, or quality push fit such as Hep2O or JG Speedfit.

8. JHXXIII

JHXXIII New Member

Thanks guys, just the advice and confidence boost I needed!