Parents boiler...with pics...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Not Too Sure, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Active Member

My parents boiler mag filter was leaking last week and asked me to have a look. I took the filter off and gave it a clean - put some plumber tape on and tightened up. No more leaks.

Now a week on my parents saying water was dripping from the boiler, had a look at it seems a leak on the pipe further down the filter before it enters the boiler.

Obviously I can use plumber tape and retighten - but given the fact the leak has come so soon after the other, does this point to an bigger issue?

It’s an open vented system and all seems to be working fine?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Probably not, you may have just disturbed it when you did your earlier work

Creek likes this.
  3. Not Too Sure

Maybe.

Is there a way of doing this without having to drain the entire system?

There is an isolation valve coming down from the magfilter, but assume even with this closed water will still be flowing to the joint I want to undo (so I can put plumber tape on and re-tightening).

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

You could try just nipping it up ever so slightly (1/8 turn ish) as this may just be enough to reseal it

5. Not Too Sure

Thanks, I just popped around and done this - it actually requires more turns than I had anticipated - hopefully does the trick!

Really appreciate your help :)

6. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

The connection to the boiler does not look very healthy. The pipe leaving the boiler is twisted and misshapen. It will have to be replaced by a Gas Safe engineer.

Boiler connection.jpg