Copper to speedfit

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gixerboi, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Gixerboi

Gixerboi New Member

I’ve searched and looked but can’t find the thread I’m probably starting for the 200th time . I’ve just bought a house moved in and starting to decorate my baby nursery , so I’ve had afew floor boards up and taken the rad off the wall , the copper plumbing looks horrific 3 rads are connected to downstairs from this room , so my question is can I connect push fit to the copper and run it to the rads /new rads, with copper coming from the floor to rads ,and then replace the copper as I go room to room
    I’ve a header tank in the loft and a 3 port valve I believe an F and E system
    Tia

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Push fit fittings can be connected to copper or plastic, so yes. They're quite bulky though, so check that your floorboards will go back down properly.

Gixerboi likes this.
  3. Yes that’s fine, make sure u use the inserts in the plastic pipe and use proper cutters on the plastic and copper not just a hacksaw.

Ben48 and Gixerboi like this.
  4. Gixerboi

Gixerboi New Member

That’s ok I can notch out abit more if need be , so I think I’ll order enough to attach to and replace this part of the system until I get to the rest

5. Gixerboi

Gixerboi New Member

Should I use 22 and go 15 on the exposed runs or 15 all round ? I know the I/d on the pipes are smaller

6. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Yes use 22mm and 15mm on the radiator supply it will help the radiators heat up quicker and better water circulation..

Ben48 likes this.
  7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

You need to decide how you will go from the existing copper to new plastic. Can use a 22mm compression, whilst ensuring you use the right insert and copper olive, OR if the existing copper is clean, undamaged and not deformed, use a pushfit there.

Choose your preferred brand of plastic and stay with it throughout - I prefer Hep2O, others John Guest and there are others too.

Key points: Use a pipe slice for plastic, a decent pipe cutter for copper. Deburr copper, brand of inserts to match pipe, and use everywhere, on compressions with plastic use copper olives, ...

Ben48 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Use 22mm on the main circuit and 15mm for each radiator. You can get away with a couple of radiators off of a 15mm if u need too. As long as the copper is in decent condition push fit will be fine to connect to it. Most prefer Hep2o but I would use John guest speedfit if I was you just because of the ease of dismounting it should you need to.

Ben48 and Gixerboi like this.
  9. Gixerboi

Gixerboi New Member

So I could get 15/22 connector and push 15 onto copper and then go 22 branching off with 15

10. Gixerboi

Gixerboi New Member

Also thinking about staying copper and using compression fittings , I’d really like t have a go at it myself but I know the soldering will take time to learn

Ben48 likes this.
  11. I wouldn’t use compression fittings under floorboards if u can help it. If you are looking for something nicer and want to do it all in copper that’s on show, but easy to do, you could use these type of push fit fittings...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tectite-...VC9OyCh3nXgR4EAQYAiABEgLl4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

just make sure you Mark the depth they need to be pushed in with a pencil and make sure the pipe has been cut with a pipe slice. If I were u I’d use speedfit fittings where not on show and these where they are on show, if you aren’t confident on soldering.

12. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I for one would not be using pushfit under a floor, seen it fail too often, and with regard to increasing the size of notches you need to be careful not to weaken the joist.
    Copper always looks far better then push fit provided its been installed neatly and if you cant see it and it works no need to touch it

13. Push fit under the floors will be fine, it’s used up and down the country every day in new installations and has been in use now for 20+ years. Personally I don’t really use it and would solder but if the original poster isn’t confident of doing this then the next best for them is push fit purely for ease of installation.

Ben48 likes this.
  14. Gixerboi

Gixerboi New Member

Maybe I’ll buy a torch and some fittings and try abit of soldering

15. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

There is one decent copper soldering vid on you tube which covers everything for the beginner.
    It's an American guy.
    For plastic push fit look at the manufacturers tech vids..JG Guest
    https://www.johnguest.com/us-es/videos/

Plumbing takes a bit of practise and you can become competent in a month or so.
    Whereas electrics ..are a gift from God !;)
    jim

Ben48 likes this.
  16. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If you're a beginner then pre-soldered fittings are much easier to use and leave a neat job.

Ben48, jimbobby and Gixerboi like this.
  17. Gixerboi

Gixerboi New Member

I’ve been looking at Yorkshire fittings

18. Gixerboi

Gixerboi New Member

If I start upstairs by the time I get to the kitchen it won’t be too bad