Is a 15mm compression fitting thread 1/2 BSP ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dvddvd, Apr 9, 2021.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Still trying to find a way to get a 1/2 BSP female to 22mm compression? Just read that a 15mm x 22mm compression reducer could be used because the 15mm thread is 1/2 BSP. Could anybody comfirm it? Or I will have to order online Thanks

2. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks they only do 1/2" to 22mm in the female version not the 1/2" male to 22mm compression?

3. Sorry I thought that was a 22mm x 1/2” male. You can get them, any plumbers merchant or other online stores. A reducer would work though

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

5. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    It’s off the shelf fitting, 1/2” male iron to 22mm compression,

a compression 15mm to 22mm compression would also be ok, the 15mm is 1/2” male iron

Good luck
    Peter

Deleted member 246321 likes this.

6. Both ways will be fine but I would just go with the reducer out of both options. Plenty of ptfe tape on the thread it will be fine.

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks seems the easiest option, so is there a little difference in 15mm compression fittings thread and 1/2"? If not why have both?

8. I think it’s 8, 12, and 15mm that have bsp threads, 1/4”, 3/8” and 1/2”. They quite often don’t have as long a thread on them tho and also don’t have a flat face at the end so aren’t ideal for fitting on things like flexis where the seal is made with a washer.

9. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Whilst most 15mm compression fittings are 1/2" bsp, (some earlier ones had finer threads) the same cannot be said for 10mm and 8mm. As an oil engineer I encounter many 10mm and 8mm fittings and am amazed at the difference both in thread pitch and also diameter. Some, mainly imported ones, are quite flimsy and will use a 12mm or 13mm spanner to tighten, whilst others such as Wade or Floflex need a 15mm or 16mm spanner.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  10. True, but most common brands are bsp