Mitre saw recommendation

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by SlikJim, Apr 14, 2021.

1. SlikJim

SlikJim New Member

I've tried searching - but not quite found the thread I was looking for - but please do point me to one if there already is one.

I have an old evo mitre saw I bought some time back for like £100 and it's been fine for most of the stuff I do - never quite been accurate, but that's Ok. I think it's about time to upgrade as I have got loads of 'big stuff' I want to get done (new decking being the first challenge) but also want something for the little jobs that's a bit more accurate. I'm prepared to invest - as I know I will use it a load - but I'm not sure I want to spend the big bucks.

I think I want this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...e-bevel-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-240v/62072 - but at £700 seems a bit excessive for my needs?

This seems to be similar (appreciate not Dewalt) at £220: https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...double-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/736fv

Any thoughts?

2. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Personally I love my Kapex but likely that is overkill for you. If you can, stick to a recognised “trade brand”, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch Professional all make outstanding saws of varying capacities and price points. At one time or another I’ve had saws from all these manufacturers and been very happy with them. Metabo is a vastly under loved brand who make some really good trade rated kit and their mitre saws are very competitively priced. It is fair to say that I have never owned or used one but based on my experience of their other stuff I doubt you would be disappointed. Try to avoid retailers own brand stuff, unless you are really lucky it ain’t going to be good.

BillyBobToo likes this.
  3. SlikJim

SlikJim New Member

Thanks both.

kswc - I had been looking at that saw for a while - but having a few sleepers I was hoping to cut - ruled it out on size. It's 100% what I would have bought though.

RSB - I want to stick with the brand... but that just racks up the price! Just had a look at the Metabo saws - look good so far - will scout for some reviews. Definitely have the size I'm after and at a price that's reasonable for me.

4. SlikJim

SlikJim New Member

So yeah - given it the once over - seems like the KGS 305 M is a decent enough big saw - think i will go for it.

5. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

My Kapex 120 is still going strong after several years, bought secondhand on eBay. Worth looking on there as there are bargains to be had if you know what's what.
    I still have a 12" DeWalt mitre saw I must have had for about 20 years still good.

SlikJim likes this.
  6. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I've got a Bosch GCM which is great, far more precise than the Evolution that it replaced.

The Erbauers are surprisingly good though, for a non-pro brand

SlikJim likes this.
  7. SlikJim

SlikJim New Member

Went with the metabo in the end for £300. Seemed like a good price and the saw is excellent. Made short work of cutting 100 x 200 sleepers this weekend. Was square out of the box which was ideal and doesn't miss a beat when handling the knots. More than adequate for my use!

8. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Nice one, it’s good when people return to finish the thread and let us know how things worked out. Please your happy with your purchase.