How to remove toilet with stuck floor screw

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Movieman334, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Movieman334

Movieman334 Active Member

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Well the most important thing is to have a PROPERLY fitting screwdriver, the right size.
    It looks like it might be a little chewed up already... I'd get a little lube of some kind down there... and be patient!

Cando

Movieman334 likes this.
  3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Dont use a power tool.

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Make sure you use a real POZI screwdriver of a decent brand and neither a cheap one or a Philips.

Push in hard as you try to turn and also try tightening too.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is it a brass screw ? Often are (or stainless steel) so don’t rust

If brass, the head will shear off easily from the shank, all good, then lift pan up over screw

Can then remove what’s left with pincers / pliers / or bend and snap

Head doesn’t look too bad, more likely the thread has corroded and stuck to timber

Are you planning on reusing the toilet ?

6. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Agree with FBN, try tightening first, but be careful there looks to be no plastic washer and you don’t want to crack the pottery.
    If you can get it to move a quarter turn tighter it often cracks the hold and let’s you reverse out, otherwise progressively larger drill bits until the head of the screw is reduced enough to lift it free then mole grips.

7. just pumps

How you going to fit a new screw there if you dont remove the threaded section?

8. FlyByNight

That looks like typical "Yellowed" steel rather than brass. How many times do you find pans screwed down or cisterns screwed to the wall with mild steel or yellow chromated screws that have corroded! Urine does a great job of starting corrosion!

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve given the OP 2 methods to remove the screw if it snaps, as we know, there are others -

We also don’t know if same toilet is being refitted ? If new toilet, the footprint will differ so new screw positions

Is same toilet and screw snaps in floor, screw can be budged a mm to miss existing screw

Have you ever had to fit something in an exact position where one of the screws snaps in wall ?

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yeah maybe, couldn’t work it out on my phone, no idea if regular steel screw or a ‘gold screw’ type thing

As I said, threads will be stuck to timber with a mix of urine and corrosion - it’s powerful stuff ! :eek:

Movieman334 likes this.
  11. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Hacksaw blade in between pan and vinyl, and cut the screw :rolleyes:

jimbobby likes this.
  12. If the toilet is being disposed off, tap the ceramic around the screw with a hammer to break around the screw, then undo the screw with grips. Wear goggles and be careful of sharp edged

13. Movieman334

Movieman334 Active Member

Hi guys sorry maybe I should have given you more information in the original post ideally I would like to keep the toilet but if it has to be broken then it has to be broken to get it out

I have tried tightening and even moving the toilet sideways and up and down a little bit to train we did get out the problem is not the grip it's that the screw simply won't budge and that includes tightening and trying to unscrew is just totally jammed in

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As RS Boats said above - drill the head of the screw away so your just left with the shank

Use decent HSS drill bits, cutting fluid or paste if your bothered and work up the drill sizes. Protect the porcelain around screw with layers of masking tape or gaffer tape - that way if bit slips, bit of cushioning

Will all be fine, just depends on quality of drill bits and how hard the screw is

Once head drilled and toilet removed, several options to remove what’s left of screw - or at least have a try

Movieman334 likes this.
  15. FlyByNight

Start with a 1-1.5mm drill into the centre of the cross, then a sharp 3mm - have it running in the drill as you introduce the hole. Go maybe5mm deep. Then move to a 5mm and that should be enough to break through and you will get a steel ring on the drill bit and just the shank remaining. Lift WC away and then mole grips to remove te shank.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  16. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

BY look of it, screws appears to be going in more horizontally so might there be one of those plastic blocks used inside the pan base ?
    Might be worth considering seeing where the boards are nailed and use a whizzer saw to cut boards either side of pan, lift and make good after ?
    J

17. Any movement on toilet? U could use a multi tool slid under the pan to cut the screw?

18. just pumps

In which I cant see plastic stopping the screw being removed.

19. Almost certainly not a pan with the plastic fixing bracket

20. just pumps

Might need a long blade looking at the angle of the screw.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.